What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I've been watching Love Live School Idol Project and Love Live Sunshine. Both series had two seasons and both series had  the same basic storyline of a group of students trying to save their school from closure by becoming School Idols and winning the "Love Live" contest which they hoped would make the school famous and more attractive and increase applications.
Despite the two series being so similar in format they production studio managed to give each series its own identity, both had an good and interesting cast of characters each with their own personality.
The songs were quite decent too. But unlike other music based anime the characters were members of a song and dance troop rather than a band, this I found made quite a nice change.
Overall both series had good storylines which were sufficiently different and didn't come across as obvious duplicates and I enjoyed watching both series a lot more than I thought I would, but on balance the ending of 'Sunshine' was more believable.

I started watching X the Series tonight. I just finished the first episode (Reunion), but I'm really looking forward to watching all of the episodes. ^^ I'll pick it up on episode 2 tomorrow. I LOVE X!!!!!

I finished Love Live! Superstar today. This series follows the same basic formula of the previous series, but it's a different school in a small town coastal town with a group of students who set out to form a School Idol Club and win the Love Live competition.  The big difference is that there is no references to the School Idol groups in the previous two series and there are only five members in the group, which is a good thing as more time can be given to each of the group members and each of the five girls have interesting and varied personalities.
Unlike the other series less time is spent on the competitions and more time is spent on interactions between the characters and like the other series it has some very nice background music.
Overall I enjoyed watching it and it has a good storyline and is good fun to watch.

• Like 1

Working my way through Inuyasha. Just finished watching eps 41 and 42, up to the ep where the Tetsuaiga breaks. It's been so long since I watched this series, I had pretty much forgotten all the storyline. I've seen a few eps that I can barely recall from the two DVDs of it I had bought years ago. It really takes me back to the early 2000s watching this title.

Still watching X the Series. The last episode I watched in it was Episode 19: Inferno, now I just need to watch 4 more episodes to finish the series. In X the Movie though I don't remember Fuma knowing people's wishes and granting them like he tends to do in the series. Though since he plans on destroying all of humanity for the benefit of the planet itself I'm still not really sure why he bothers granting anyone's wish at all. Just one of those complicated antagonists whose destiny was chosen for him when Kamui decided to fight for humans.

I finished Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club this evening. Ok so this one was a bit different, the school is a huge modern hi-tech one with loads of students, so no School Idol Club needed to save it from closing. There's still a school idol club, of course, but rather than become a group the nine members all decide to become solo idols so in effect each episode revolves round one of the girls. The problem with this approach is that there's very little in terms of coherent storyline.
It's an interesting series, but with the group's members all doing their own thing the storyline really lacks the overall sense of purpose that the previous series had.

I've just finished watching X the Series. The ending is still kind of sad, like it was in the movie, but there was also kind of a bittersweet ending to it, kind of like the movie. ^^ Excellent anime, both the movie and series. Next I plan on watching Ghost in the Shell to refresh my memory about it before I start Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (the latter I've never actually seen before, so I'm pretty excited to watch it).

I've now finished rewatching Insomniacs After School When I watched this for the first time I thought it was an excellent series, I found it even better second time round. The artwork and animation are really good quality, it has a brilliant storyline and good background music.

6 hours ago, ScrapBlox said:

I've been watching Sword art online. So far I made it to Alicization.. Such a good anime

SAO is still one of my favorite anime, im rewatching all of it since i still haven't watched all of alicization. also playing the mobile mmorpg right now

I've just finished rewatching Higehiro. This is an excellent, and serious, story of a 17 year old girl who witnessed a tragic event at school that has a devastating effect on her and when she receives no support from mother, who is more concerned about the family's good name than the wellbeing of her daughter, she runs away from home. Eventually she ends up staying with a 26 year old man and as a result of the support she receives from him and a girl her own age that she meets while working at convenience store she realises that she can't keep running for ever and slowly gains the courage to return home and face the situation she ran away from.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I've now finished my rewatch of Super Cub. A delightful and wholesome slice of life series about a high school girl who lives a fairly lonely life until she buys herself a second hand Super Cub moped. Ownership of the Super Cub slowly starts to turn her life around as she learns how to ride and maintain her cub, the cub also serves as an introduction to another girl in her class who also rides a cub.  The animation and artwork are of good quality, it has some really nice background music and the storyline, while fairly simple, is really good. If you're feeling a bit stressed out this is a great series to watch and unwind with.

Just finished the 2nd ep of Ninja Kamui. While the story & characterizations are bare bones, when it comes to fight choreography & animation quality, it delivers what JJK2  frequently lacked.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw at the cinema today

Rascal Does Not Dream of a Sister Venturing Out - the 2nd sequel film to the Bunnygirl-senpai tv series, with the focus on Kaede’s struggle to overcome the extreme social anxiety which previously led to her living as a hikikomori for 2 years. Very emotional with a strong advocacy of alternative educational methods & learning/finding acceptance for being different (not “normal”). 

Rascal Does Not Dream of a Knapsack Kid - the 3rd film , focusing on an unexpected “complication” of the Azusagawa family trying to reconcile  & overcome the mutual trauma that resulted  in the parents & children living separately. Also greater focus on Sakuta & Mai’s deepening relationship as they get closer to leaving high school & becoming young adults. This one hit me on a much more personal level emotionally & actually made me tear up. Added to my list of all-time favorite anime movies.

Both movies were very emotional, while also having the humorous (and in the case of Sakuta/Mai, flirtatious) verbal sparring the franchise is known for. I wasn’t initially a fan, but the deeper I get into it, the more appealing I find it. Definitely recommended for fans of Haruhi Suzimiya (personally I like it better). The one major complaint is that you need to have seen the previous material to keep up with the story. Which is further complicated by the fact that none of the movies are currently streaming legally in the US. This theatrical double feature was extremely limited (one day only for the sub version  & dub version the next day only). And the blu ray of the first movie is priced at a premium. And it will only get more difficult for newcomers since the after credit scene revealed that a new animated entry has been green-lit (no word on if it will be a 4th movie or a 2nd season).

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Saw at the cinema today

I liked the TV series and would really like to see those two movies, but as you say at present neither are available on a streaming service nor is either of them available on DVD or Blu-ray here in the UK.

I finished my rewatch of Sounds of Life. This is a Slice of Life series about the members of a high school koto club as they prepare to take part in the National Koto Championships, it takes a couple of episodes to get going but those episodes are important to set the scene and establish the characters and their backgrounds.
The series has an interesting cast of characters, some of whom are experienced koto players while others are delinquents or trouble makers looking for somewhere to mess about.  
Although this series is a Slice of Life style it's also a drama as the koto club faces opposition from both inside the school and outside it several of the cast also have problems and conflicts in their pasts which they need to work through and come to terms with so there is initially a bit of conflict between some of the characters.
I think that this is an underrated and underappreciated series with an excellent storyline and a heart warming ending.

With the 2024 winter anime series ending it's time for the binge watching to start!! 🙂

First up was A Sign of Affection. I found this to be a wonderfully wholesome Slice of Life series about Yuki, a young girl who had been deaf from birth and lived all her life communicating by sign language and writing messages on her phone, tablet or notebook then into her silent world came Itsuomi, a guy a few years older than her who falls in love with her and takes her out of her little silent world and introduces her to a whole wide world that she didn't know anything about.
This series has an excellent storyline and a good cast of believable characters, I especially liked the sensitive way they handled Yuki's character and the way her lack of hearing impacted the way she interacted with the those around her.

From this season I've got Sign of Affection, Undead Adventurer, and Level 99 Villainess queued up first.  After that maybe Wrong way to do Healing and Doctor Elise.   But I still have unfinished business with Frieren, The Masterful Cat, and something else that it's been so long I forget.  :) I'll have to check my list when I get home.

Edited by efaardvark
typoo