The Most Gross Japanese Food

Beocat

So, what is the grossest Japanese food you've ever heard of in an anime?

I think for me it would have to be Pickled Squid (or fish) Guts. Considered Stewed Pigs Feet but honestly, I'm sure a Southerner would be able to make that taste good lol....

I kind of wish that Chopped would do an episode using Pickled Squid Guts....I just want to see the judges eat it LOL...

Edited by Beocat

14 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

I'd probably eat pickled squid guts, actually. Just to try it. I do know I like squid, though it's got a fairly rubbery texture. Plus, I feel I've eaten stranger things before. Tripas, peacock, rocky mountain oysters, and a grasshopper, to name some. 

Well, there are apparently bars that specialize in it...  you are supposed to down a portion then follow it with a shot of whiskey. It's an aquired taste or so I've heard. 

11 minutes ago, AniMeFReaK said:

Basashi. Three words: raw horse meat.

"Steak tartare" by another name.

Then again, I don't eat that either.  You may have a point.  :D 

7 hours ago, AniMeFReaK said:

x7qujh7pjq1z.jpg

Ah!  😰 They eat Black Beauty!?  Guess I'll have to be extra careful if I ever visit Japan not to get that. I don't think I ever could in good conscience.

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2018 at 9:36 PM, Beocat said:

Ah!  😰 They eat Black Beauty!?  Guess I'll have to be extra careful if I ever visit Japan not to get that. I don't think I ever could in good conscience.

Yup. Where i lived (Nagai, Yamagata), horse was a popular regional thing.  I never tried it sashimi style (never had the opportunity) but I loved the horse ramen.

10 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

That would easily have to be span. Far as I know it was invented there, and yes it is international nowa days, but still is trash.

GUEST_8500329d-89b0-47ee-8322-2b1953ec47d3.jpg.18e199525efa9ae7bb9cc0144c38f7fe.jpg

I actually think Hawaii when I think of SPAM personally. I'm sure it's over in Japan, though, but I've never personally come across SPAM in the normal supermarkets (but it's not something I'd actually go out and buy or look for, so I could've missed it).  I have come across it in International stores there, though. That aside, I'm pretty sure SPAM is a US food invention anyway.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ssjup81 said:

I actually think Hawaii when I think of SPAM personally. I'm sure it's over in Japan, though, but I've never personally come across SPAM in the normal supermarkets (but it's not something I'd actually go out and buy or look for, so I could've missed it).  I have come across it in International stores there, though. That aside, I'm pretty sure SPAM is a US food invention anyway.

Hawaii has a lot of Japanese influence being so close to Japan, and all. Plus with the world being as small as it is now with air travel its not surprising really.

5 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Hawaii has a lot of Japanese influence being so close to Japan, and all. Plus with the world being as small as it is now with air travel its not surprising really.

I guess what I meant was that it was invented in the US and expanded internationally, not the other way around. But yeah, it does seem to be very popular in Hawaii and yes, there is a lot of Japanese influence there.  I'm sure it's used in Japan, but as I mentioned, I don't recall ever seeing it for purchase in the normal supermarkets, only the stores that carried international food items, like Kaldi's, which is known for its coffee, or Costco.

Edited by ssjup81

7 minutes ago, ssjup81 said:

I guess what I meant was that it was invented in the US and expanded internationally, not the other way around. But yeah, it does seem to be very popular in Hawaii and yes, there is a lot of Japanese influence there.  I'm sure it's used in Japan, but as I mentioned, I don't recall ever seeing it for purchase in the normal supermarkets, only the stores that carried international food items, like Kaldi's, which is known for its coffee, or Costco.

That makes sense honestly since WWII it is hard to say exactly where things are manufactured anymore this goes for food products to. One country may make something, and then it is exclusivly sold in another country with the producing countriy's average joe not knowing even.

On June 22, 2018 at 11:51 PM, AniMeFReaK said:

x7qujh7pjq1z.jpg

😨 I'm grossed out at how much that looks like beef. I always hear about people passing off horse meat as beef in Mexico, seeing this makes it really easy to believe. I wonder how different/alike the taste is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Do I even want to know exactly what Dango is? Just the name sounds like a bad mistake.

Clannad Ending

This made me want to try some out since Nagisa was obsessed with them. My friends and I tried to make them 3 TIMES with 3 DIFFERENT recipes to follow.

But it was to no avail. It always tasted like eating a ball of clay. And the texture.... oh god the texture.... not good. 

Maybe we just really suck at making dango, but we're avoiding them forever unless we get some authentic ones sometime lmao.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Decimo said:

Clannad Ending

This made me want to try some out since Nagisa was obsessed with them. My friends and I tried to make them 3 TIMES with 3 DIFFERENT recipes to follow.

But it was to no avail. It always tasted like eating a ball of clay. And the texture.... oh god the texture.... not good. 

Maybe we just really suck at making dango, but we're avoiding them forever unless we get some authentic ones sometime lmao.

That looks a lot like mochi if I am honest which is amazing, and comes in a large verity of flavors.

10 hours ago, Decimo said:

Clannad Ending

9 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

That looks a lot like mochi if I am honest which is amazing, and comes in a large verity of flavors.

Okay, I had to look it up and I was surprised I had seen it before!  I'm wondering...were you using rice flour or wheat flour?  And from what I can tell...it is a kind of uncooked dough....so if the texture was really bad...maybe you need to work at your kneading skills? Or maybe you are using a really bad recipe.  I make cardamom braided loaves from time to time to work on mine.  I'm no master, but what I produce now is at least edible compared to my first several attempts lol... I even ruined the simplest easiest cinnamon roll dough my first time.  Still...uncooked dough...no matter how sweet...seems like it would taste like...uncooked dough...  >_>  They are pretty at least...  Helps lure a person in I'm sure... 

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

Okay, I had to look it up and I was surprised I had seen it before!  I'm wondering...were you using rice flour or wheat flour?  And from what I can tell...it is a kind of uncooked dough....so if the texture was really bad...maybe you need to work at your kneading skills? Or maybe you are using a really bad recipe.  I make cardamom braided loaves from time to time to work on mine.  I'm no master, but what I produce now is at least edible compared to my first several attempts lol... I even ruined the simplest easiest cinnamon roll dough my first time.  Still...uncooked dough...no matter how sweet...seems like it would taste like...uncooked dough...  >_>  They are pretty at least...  Helps lure a person in I'm sure... 

Yeah we used rice flour. We all might just suck at kneading it, or maybe we missed a step or something. It looked nice when were done, but yeah trying to consume it was a problem in itself lol.

8 minutes ago, Decimo said:

Yeah we used rice flour. We all might just suck at kneading it, or maybe we missed a step or something. It looked nice when were done, but yeah trying to consume it was a problem in itself lol.

No, I think maybe it's just nasty after all LOL....I just asked a friend of mine who's had it from a professional Ramen restaurant chef and she said it was gross.  Uncooked doughy texture gross...pretty to look at, not quite edible though. 

• Funny 1

21 minutes ago, IntoMyWorld said:

I will second mochi. Tried making some. Just gross and ruins your bowels for days.

The next is miso. Oh my gosh why does that even exist.

I don't know about that I rather enjoyed it.

Though I can see how it looks a little gross especially if its your first time trying it.

l_13010_green-tea-mochi.jpg.49106033dda5a034cb61edee350a7396.jpg

2 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I don't know about that I rather enjoyed it.

Though I can see how it looks a little gross especially if its your first time trying it.

l_13010_green-tea-mochi.jpg.49106033dda5a034cb61edee350a7396.jpg

I think I would need to try professionally made mochi. Whatever I made was a disaster haha. So I'll take back judgement till I've tried some real stuff.

Though I'm still not a fan on miso.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IntoMyWorld said:

I think I would need to try professionally made mochi. Whatever I made was a disaster haha. So I'll take back judgement till I've tried some real stuff.

Though I'm still not a fan on miso.

Some of it can be nasty there is no question about it, but this type is amazing. It comes in several flavors too, and is very common at anime cons. Though you can commonly get it at Asian food markets, or online. I personally hate the ones with filling. Mochi, and filling just dose not do it for me.

• 4 months later...
On 10/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, ArchieKun said:

That would easily have to be span. Far as I know it was invented there, and yes it is international nowa days, but still is trash.

GUEST_8500329d-89b0-47ee-8322-2b1953ec47d3.jpg.18e199525efa9ae7bb9cc0144c38f7fe.jpg

Then try it like this:

And someone also mentioned Dango as being gross, and raw dough.. you were supposed to cook it!! 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

• Like 1