Seems to be getting boring

gizmo89

I'm new here!, I'm trying my best to still appreciate the art the effort the talent that goes into anime , bit it just seems like there is no effort anymore when it comes to story,, I know there are lots of manga adaptions and I understand monetary complications but doesn't it seem like the love of the media is gone or best case scenario watered down ? 

• Agree 2

I've had the same issue for years now.  Decades even.  Compounding the problem for me is that I like -science- fiction and pretty much nobody cares about getting the science part right.  :(  I gave up completely on Hollyweird long ago as a lost cause but anime and books still had the occasional gem.  Lately anime is all fantasy - or whatever isekai is - sometimes calling itself science, and I have to really go digging for any real science content even in books.  (WTF do bookstores always lump SF and fantasy together anyway?  But I digress...)  I too can appreciate the skill, effort, and even money that goes into creating the works themselves, technically speaking.  Some of it is even entertaining but I'd be lying if I said I was truly engaged by any of it.  :( Lately I get more value out of my entertainment time/money budget with gaming.  (KSP for fun and minecraft for socializing.)  I fear it is only going to get worse with big mainstream names like Sony ensconcing themselves as gatekeepers too.

Edited by efaardvark

While I’m not seeing much I’m hyped for in the upcoming season, I’m nowhere near bored of anime. Still got a number of series from the current season I need to finish or that will carry over into the new year (Frieren, Ragna Crimson, Shangri La Frontier). And will hopefully finally get Fate Stay/Night , UBW & the Heavens Feel movies off my backlog list. 
I’ve been watching anime to some degree for  40+ years & the variety of genres I’ve exlored actually increased when I started streaming around 6 years ago. I can see myself watching less anime in the future (especially seasonals) but doubt I’ll ever give it up entirely. If nothing else, there are a number of titles from the early days of my journey I’m curious to revisit & see if my impressions have changed, especially ones I’ve only seen the english dub version of.

Edited by Ohayotaku

While I'm nowhere near being bored with watching anime I have to say that there's often not much I'm interested in in each new season. Isekai, in it's various forms, seems to be the genre of the moment and the titles seem to be getting longer and more similar to each other and more outlandish, I have yet to work out how anyone can be reincarnated as a vending machine!

Over the years my tastes in anime have changed and my genre of choice is now Slice of Life, what hasn't changed is my liking for a series that has a good storyline and a good cast of characters, even better if they are believable and relatable. To me, a good story has a beginning, a middle and an ending but sadly quite a few anime have the first two but not the last. This is usually because they are based on a manga and only the first few chapters have been animated, this isn't too bad if the anime ends at a convenient point in the story, but often the anime just stops which can be annoying.

So, am I bored with anime? No! While there's not much I want to watch, there's still a enough that want to watch to keep me happy for quite a long time.

• Like 1

I watch anime from 1990s and early 2000s . I've tried looking for gems that I've never seen. I hate the new stuff. I hate the art style and all its color pallets,  and high school teens as protagonist. We need to bring back sex , violence and crude scenarios and language. I really see anime has gone down the route of pg 13 friendly content. Look at a movie like wicked city , fist of the north star, Akira. These were appealing to all fans and outside fans of anime. Even 3x3 eyes, had gore but a lovely story, and it was a relatable protag who had a job. 

I just now hate how watered down story is for just teens and characters all have the same personality, and the male leads are all shy and nerdy. I get that teens like this need representation, and kids who get bullied in school need to relate to these character types, but it's saturated at this point. I want more badass male and female characters back, who can fight, don't have submissive personality traits. I also notice Korean drama has leaked its way into Japanese stories, the shy girl and the handsome japanese man who is so cool and she needs to fight for his attention. Japan doesn't create new stories anymore that is groundbreaking, it's like they just churn out ideas that would make a good netflix series adaptation, in other words, pop characters that look like they can be in a korean pop band. Add some interesting horror/hero element and vola:  a hit money maker. 

On 12/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, gizmo89 said:

I'm new here!, I'm trying my best to still appreciate the art the effort the talent that goes into anime , bit it just seems like there is no effort anymore when it comes to story,, I know there are lots of manga adaptions and I understand monetary complications but doesn't it seem like the love of the media is gone or best case scenario watered down ? 

Depends. You have to search beyond the mainstream. overlord for example had been consistently good. Dead Leaves. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon maid. Don't just look fro stuff recomended by Crunchyroll or Gkids, do some research and find stuff. 

callie_and_gadget_____and_colleen_by_nib

• 5 weeks later...

I don't watch an awful lot of adaptation stuff, and my list is always small at most I'm watching maybe 1 to 3 anime at any given time. So I just try and pick a few things from either the past or upcoming which I vibe with an add them to my plan to watch. 

Right now, Fate/Strange Fake, Witch on the Holy Night, the new Madoka Movie and I need to get around to watching the Psycho Pass Providence film. 

One issue I have been having is a few long running series I liked such as Yamato or Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake have seemingly ended dubbing for there runs - which sucks as the 'dub' is what I started watching with those. 

I kinda feel that way too. I don't watch as much anime as I did when I was a teenager anymore, and what I do watch is usually stuff I've already watched and want to rewatch. I do find some new stuff I like here and there but not the way I used to. Most of the stuff that I find I like is stuff that came out in the 90s or early 2000s times. 

• Like 1

I still enjoy some newer anime or still running anime such as Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho and Made in Abyss, but I get what you're saying. I still enjoy watching anime but it's harder for me to find an anime I enjoy as much. I kind of attributed that to the fact that there are so many to choose from now that it's harder to find one. 

• Like 1

I don't find it boring, but at the same time I can't buy anime as often as I used to because our little family at home isn't making as much as it used to. So, I can only get anime or a game sometimes after a while, but because I don't really have any way to explore any different anime I like to just try to buy anime from series I'm more familiar with which, like @Sakura, is from the 90's or early 2000's. That, and I can't afford to buy anime that would require buying more than 1 season to watch anymore. I seldom make exceptions, but only for anime with a maximum of 2 seasons. When it comes to more recent anime though, they tend to have more seasons than I can afford to get when I can only get a game or anime at a time now. At least that's what mom said to me... I'm paraphrasing though.

17 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

I don't find it boring, but at the same time I can't buy anime as often as I used to because our little family at home isn't making as much as it used to. So, I can only get anime or a game sometimes after a while, but because I don't really have any way to explore any different anime I like to just try to buy anime from series I'm more familiar with which, like @Sakura, is from the 90's or early 2000's. That, and I can't afford to buy anime that would require buying more than 1 season to watch anymore. I seldom make exceptions, but only for anime with a maximum of 2 seasons. When it comes to more recent anime though, they tend to have more seasons than I can afford to get when I can only get a game or anime at a time now. At least that's what mom said to me... I'm paraphrasing though.

Tbf, spending all that money on anime DVD's and box sets gets expensive fast and makes it hard to watch it that way because you have to drop $100 bucks on a box set usually. All the older anime box sets seems to be even more expensive too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sakura said:

Tbf, spending all that money on anime DVD's and box sets gets expensive fast and makes it hard to watch it that way because you have to drop $100 bucks on a box set usually. All the older anime box sets seems to be even more expensive too.

Way back before streaming was even an option, I had to go out and buy individual DVDs if I wanted to watch anything new. I'd spot something in the store (anyone here remember Suncoast or Sam Goody? lol) and pick it up. Most of the time, I could only afford one DVD, but I'd easily drop $20 - $30 per disc, and sometimes those DVDs only had three eps on them.

Good times. Expensive, but good. xD

8 hours ago, Sakura said:

I tend to avoid box sets nowadays, but I just prefer to buy all of an anime that I like (if it's at an acceptable price anyway) in one go, so I like to buy the full $30 or $40 on an anime with one season instead of 23 or so separate DVD or blu-ray released of a certain number of episodes per DVD or blu-ray like Bleach or Naruto Shppuden has. I don't have streaming as an option to watch anime (maybe at some point we will, but I'm not very optimistic about the chances of that happening) and even though I rewatch a lot of my anime even I like to get new anime series or movies. I'm talking things like Hellsing, Chrono Crusade, Witch Hunter Robin, Witchblade complete series in one full release of all of the episodes instead of running the risk of buying some of an anime only to have no way to buy the rest. I've got Fullmetal Alchemist, but only the complete season one when I thought it was the whole series. I can't get the complete season two of its DVD all-in-one release now because of the ridiculously skyrocketed price people have it listed for, so I can't ever get the complete second season DVD purchase to have the whole series. The main reason why I prefer to buy anime with only one or two seasons (or anime movies) is to avoid that kind of situation I'm in with my only having Fullmetal Alchemist complete season one without having any way of getting the FMA complete season two all-in-one DVD release. It makes sense in my mind at least.

10 hours ago, Sakura said:

I tend to prefer box sets mainly because back in the 2000s series were released one disk every 4 or 5 weeks and with only 4 episodes on it so it took a long time to get a complete series so even a short 12 episode series took 3 months to collect and for longer series there was always the risk that you'd get halfway through and the distributor would decide that the series wasn't selling as well as they hoped and stop it.  But yes, buying the whole series in one box set could, and did, work out expensive!!

The prices for older series is a bit weird, some series still go for a high price and episodes 1-6 and 7-12 are sold as separate releases at £30 each while with others you get all 24 episodes for £25.

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I tend to prefer box sets mainly because back in the 2000s series were released one disk every 4 or 5 weeks and with only 4 episodes on it so it took a long time to get a complete series so even a short 12 episode series took 3 months to collect and for longer series there was always the risk that you'd get halfway through and the distributor would decide that the series wasn't selling as well as they hoped and stop it.

Is this why Azumanga Daioh DVD's only have 5 episodes on them? I'm trying to collect them, but its so difficult and expensive because of the amount of episodes each one has. So far, I only have the first DVD, and I spend way too much time looking on jp mercari for a good deal for the next ( ̄︿ ̄)

1 hour ago, froggy said:

Is this why Azumanga Daioh DVD's only have 5 episodes on them? I'm trying to collect them, but its so difficult and expensive because of the amount of episodes each one has. So far, I only have the first DVD, and I spend way too much time looking on jp mercari for a good deal for the next ( ̄︿ ̄)

Yes, that's why there's only 5 episodes on disks. As a 26 episode series it would have most likely been released on 6 disks with the disks having between 5 and 3 episodes on them.

• Wow 1

11 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I tend to prefer box sets mainly because back in the 2000s series were released one disk every 4 or 5 weeks and with only 4 episodes on it so it took a long time to get a complete series so even a short 12 episode series took 3 months to collect and for longer series there was always the risk that you'd get halfway through and the distributor would decide that the series wasn't selling as well as they hoped and stop it.  But yes, buying the whole series in one box set could, and did, work out expensive!!

The prices for older series is a bit weird, some series still go for a high price and episodes 1-6 and 7-12 are sold as separate releases at £30 each while with others you get all 24 episodes for £25.

Yeah some of the Inuyasha ones I have only have 3-4 episodes on them and it makes buying them all get expensive, mostly because back then you had to go Wal*Mart or FYE or something to buy them lol. Now you can order a box set online, but they usually cost around $100 or more for some. The collectors one's can cost really high. I don't buy a lot of them since they are just available for basically free on places on like CrunchyRoll. I've only bought a couple of animes I really, really love. 

30 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Yeah some of the Inuyasha ones I have only have 3-4 episodes on them and it makes buying them all get expensive, mostly because back then you had to go Wal*Mart or FYE or something to buy them lol. Now you can order a box set online, but they usually cost around $100 or more for some. The collectors one's can cost really high. I don't buy a lot of them since they are just available for basically free on places on like CrunchyRoll. I've only bought a couple of animes I really, really love. 

The original Cardcaptor Sakura DVD release was 4 episodes per disk, that's 18 disks!!  The re-mastered Blu-ray edition comes in two box sets each with 5 disks, together they cost about £80, but thats a HUGE amount less than my original DVDs. All bought mail order of course, the Blu-rays because there's no video shops left where I live, the CCS DVDs had to be bought mail order because Region 1 DVDs can't be sold over the counter in the UK.

Since subscribing to Crunchyroll I think I've only bought a couple of Anime disks, and currently the only one I have on my 'to buy' list is Suzume, but it's not out yet.

1 hour ago, Animedragon said:

The original Cardcaptor Sakura DVD release was 4 episodes per disk, that's 18 disks!!  The re-mastered Blu-ray edition comes in two box sets each with 5 disks, together they cost about £80, but thats a HUGE amount less than my original DVDs. All bought mail order of course, the Blu-rays because there's no video shops left where I live, the CCS DVDs had to be bought mail order because Region 1 DVDs can't be sold over the counter in the UK.

Since subscribing to Crunchyroll I think I've only bought a couple of Anime disks, and currently the only one I have on my 'to buy' list is Suzume, but it's not out yet.

Yeah that's the way they used to have those disks, you would have to buy so many lol ~ I remember doing that for Naruto too. There's actually only 1 place I know of that sells anime DVD's over the counter around here which is a store called FYE that always has a bunch of anime stuff. They sell box sets in there but they will be like USD $200-ish. I only buy box sets now that I want on like a shelf as display because it's a favorite because it's really a lot of money to spend considering you can just watch it all online for about $10 bucks a month 🤭

6 hours ago, Sakura said:

Yeah that's the way they used to have those disks, you would have to buy so many lol ~ I remember doing that for Naruto too. There's actually only 1 place I know of that sells anime DVD's over the counter around here which is a store called FYE that always has a bunch of anime stuff. They sell box sets in there but they will be like USD $200-ish. I only buy box sets now that I want on like a shelf as display because it's a favorite because it's really a lot of money to spend considering you can just watch it all online for about $10 bucks a month 🤭

Yess, I only buy shows that I think I would enjoy more in a DVD format. Take like azumanga daioh or serial experiments lain. But other than that, I love going to physical stores and looking around. There's one with a bunch of collectors vintage stuff, and also more niche oldies too. Love going there.

12 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Yes, that's why there's only 5 episodes on disks. As a 26 episode series it would have most likely been released on 6 disks with the disks having between 5 and 3 episodes on them.

Ohhhh, that makes sense. I checked and Azumanga Daioh has a 6-disc set!

1 hour ago, froggy said:

Yess, I only buy shows that I think I would enjoy more in a DVD format. Take like azumanga daioh or serial experiments lain. But other than that, I love going to physical stores and looking around. There's one with a bunch of collectors vintage stuff, and also more niche oldies too. Love going there.

Ohhhh, that makes sense. I checked and Azumanga Daioh has a 6-disc set!

I love going to stores like that too, even if I don't buy anything. Also it gives me ideas for things I can look for at second-hand online shops like Mercari where you can buy the same thing from a seller, usually in perfect condition, for half the price ~ That's usually where I get all my plushies from because you can get them much cheaper ^_^

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

12 hours ago, Sakura said:

I love going to stores like that too, even if I don't buy anything. Also it gives me ideas for things I can look for at second-hand online shops like Mercari where you can buy the same thing from a seller, usually in perfect condition, for half the price ~ That's usually where I get all my plushies from because you can get them much cheaper ^_^

YESSS mercari has so much well-priced thingss. I got all the watamote manga for 11 bucks, and the entire dvd set for trinity blood for 15!! ^o^

• Friendly 1

4 hours ago, froggy said:

YESSS mercari has so much well-priced thingss. I got all the watamote manga for 11 bucks, and the entire dvd set for trinity blood for 15!! ^o^

I'm so obsessed with Mercari for that reason lol ~ I've gotten so many cute plushies and cute acrylic stands off it for way cheaper than the original price 🥰 And DVD's are usually only $5-6 dollars on there for good condition. 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

I'm so obsessed with Mercari for that reason lol ~ I've gotten so many cute plushies and cute acrylic stands off it for way cheaper than the original price 🥰 And DVD's are usually only $5-6 dollars on there for good condition. 

Exactlyyy, I've sold some merch that I wasn't rlly interested in anymore, and its super easy! I use buyee to go on mercari jp where there are even more deals too!