Programs (or apps) you can't live without?

Cy~

Do you have any software that you use on a daily basis that you would be lost and confused without? If so, then share it here! Me? I have only one program that I swear by and would completely cease to exist without.

First, some background information. I write in a way that would probably drive most people utterly insane. I start writing, switch to another part in the same story, write a little there, switch to somewhere else, write a little bit there. I hate it when people watch me write, because it always looks a little weird. Besides this, I end up scrolling up and down endlessly in my Google Doc, which actually drives me crazy.

Enter Scrivener - a program for writing made by a writer and for writers! It basically lets me create a document out of folders, snippets of files, random junk, and other assorted mish mash (I am a wreck of a human being :'(). It frees me up from the prison of linearity! Allowing me to do whatever the heck I feel like! (o^.^o) (And, I can use it on my desktop and my phone, so life is reaaaallly good.)

Okay, so like, what about you? What're the programs/apps that you can't live without? :angel:

• Like 2

I would say GitHub's Atom.

I run a blog that I recently converted to static files, and when getting things ready for online posting, or fixing things for the entire site, Atom's abilities to find and replace in all documents, regardless of whether or not I opened them, really helps get things fixed quickly.

After that, it would have to be MS Word.

When I switched from Mac OS back to Windows (I remember using Windows from version 95, as a kid, to 2000), I got a 2-in-one laptop and had troubles working on my manuscripts for books in LibreOffice, since it was only a great suite in laptop mode, so I subscribed to Office 365. Now, I really can get things done anywhere, regardless of whether or not I am offline and what mode my computer is in.

Dreamweaver comes in third, because using it to test designs has never been easier. I remember back in the day that to test a layout on multiple devices that I would need to setup a dev server and make sure ports were not blocked on either end, but thanks to advances made and the benefits of creative cloud, I do not need to have a dev server of my own to test a layout.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I can live without any app tbh. But one app I really go to like EVERY moment I'm free is Facebook. It's not like I have a reason to go there. Actually it just became a hobby of pressing the app icon on my phone and get to know if my friends are still alive and kicking somewhere and traveling with those "relationshit goals". :P:naughty:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

The Wikipedia app. I swear I've learnt so much more by thinking "Oh I wonder how X works?" "What does X mean?"

If there's something I realise I don't know, I just grab my phone and find out. I'll go to quickly check something, usually something biological like a disease or a sometimes an organisation, and I'll be there for hours, clicking through links to learn more and more.

Wikipedia is the best. I know anyone can edit it and pollute it with misinformation, but it's so well managed these days that it's just not as unreliable as it's made out. Anyway, I use it all the time and I'd be lost without it.

Computer-wise, I can't seem to be without Grammarly. It's a little grammar and spelling checker that sits in the background, sifting through everything you type everywhere, making little tweaks and ensuring you're using the correct terms. It's incredibly useful in school and in places like forums as I don't even have to intervene most of the time, whenever I finish a sentence, the sentence fixes itself if there are any issues.

A close second would be Kodi. As someone who regularly sifts through my YT sub box, listens to music for hours, and binge-watches anime, having everything accessible from one, clean and optimised interface is ideal. I have a little 2GB sd card that I just stick into my laptop (or anyone else's laptop) and I have an entire media centre with everything I need, all elegantly laid out. So much handier than using lots of different programs that all form a crude system with far too much going on in the background. And because I use an old laptop, it needs to use all of its strength without background distractions to deliver smooth even just 720p video :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

I don't really go on my laptop much, so there's not really any programs on there I can't live without.

On my phone I always always always need to have: my bank app, period tracker, contact lens tracker, and the app for my mobile carrier

Those are the ones I always install. I also make good use of certain apps that come with the phone (notes, calculator, calendar, maps)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I would say GitHub's Atom.

Oh geeze, I remember trying Atom out when they first released it. At that time, I found it to be just a little bit buggy when handling fairly large projects. I'm guessing that all of the kinks have been worked out of it by now? If you have used Sublime Text or Text Mate, would you say that it beat them or about the same?

On my phone I always always always need to have: my bank app

My banking app

I actually use Mint.com's banking and budget app for financial stuff. It's part of my routine, so I rarely think of it. However, you may find it useful, since it has alerts and can tie into multiple accounts and help you manage all of your expenses in one central location. I'm a total mint nerd :nerd:, I can sometimes spend hours tweaking and planning and checking up on stuff, hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On my phone? I use ... Yelp. Well, that and the default mail/map/browser/etc apps. Very exciting, I know. ^^;

I'm a total mint nerd :nerd:, I can sometimes spend hours tweaking and planning and checking up on stuff, hahaha.

Can confirm, sometimes a lot of hours. xD

Edited by Guest
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Oh geeze, I remember trying Atom out when they first released it. At that time, I found it to be just a little bit buggy when handling fairly large projects. I'm guessing that all of the kinks have been worked out of it by now? If you have used Sublime Text or Text Mate, would you say that it beat them or about the same?

I actually use Mint.com's banking and budget app for financial stuff. It's part of my routine, so I rarely think of it. However, you may find it useful, since it has alerts and can tie into multiple accounts and help you manage all of your expenses in one central location. I'm a total mint nerd :nerd:, I can sometimes spend hours tweaking and planning and checking up on stuff, hahaha.

I use the TD Canada Trust app, which is the bank I'm with. It has all the features I need for a banking app. However, if I ever need anything more, I'll keep Mint in mind ^-^

• Like 2

No, I have not used them. I would have been glad to tell you how they stack up, if I had though.

Google Chrome (or insert any Internet browser you prefer here). I don't use apps much, so that's the only program I couldn't live without, the very thing that allows me to access the Internet.

• Winner 1

I can absolutely not live with out AF!!!!!!!! csgo paint.net funimation google crunchyroll ebay amazon etc!!!

• Agree 1

For the most part I think a lot of the messenger apps I can't live without... I'm one of those people who hate talking on the phone and in person I'd rather talk to people through text or messaging lol

For me, I prefer talking through text because I have problems with accents.

Some people have accents that are too thick to really understand them, but there are times when things need to be said face to face.

As for the topic at hand, another app I cannot live without is Peazip. Back in my Mac/Linux days, I would create gzipped tar archives because they are small and easy to carry, but you cannot create or extract such archives easily on Windows, so I had to look for a new program, and PeaZip allows me to create or extract any archive, even 7zip.

• Agree 1

For me, I prefer talking through text because I have problems with accents.

Some people have accents that are too thick to really understand them, but there are times when things need to be said face to face.

As for the topic at hand, another app I cannot live without is Peazip. Back in my Mac/Linux days, I would create gzipped tar archives because they are small and easy to carry, but you cannot create or extract such archives easily on Windows, so I had to look for a new program, and PeaZip allows me to create or extract any archive, even 7zip.

Yeah I agree with that too lol sometimes I feel bad cause I can't understand through the thick accents so the people get mad at me cause I'm having a hard time understanding >.<

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I would have to say Greenshot, it's a screenshot application that has a lot of features built in... very useful for doing screenshot documentation as you add numbers, arrows, obfusicate (blur) regions, and it's free. :angel:

Definitely saves having to open a full blown graphics app just to do simple annotations. ;)

greenshot-demo.thumb.jpg.62b9da386461bfa1b67897739970012b.jpg

DISCORD OR ANY APP THAT LETS ME CHAT WITH MY GF.

Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

So as far as pc, i NEED flash, since its soon gonna be the only way i make money.

I think thats it, oh and any video recorder. I like recording dumb stuff for YouTube xD

So as far as pc, i NEED flash, since its soon gonna be the only way i make money.

I think thats it, oh and any video recorder. I like recording dumb stuff for YouTube xD

Wasn't Flash renamed to something else? Last time I saw it called Flash, Adobe was still working on Creative Suite, whereas now it is Creative Cloud.

Update: Flash is now Animate CC

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

On my PC...

- Paint.net for image work ... it isn't the most full featured program around, but it's free and extremely easy to use.

- Foobar2000 for music playback. I appreciate the fact that, by default, its interface is beautifully minimalist. Also, tabbed playlists are wonderful.

On my phone...

Nadda. Nothing. I don't do many apps. Discord, I suppose?

• Like 1

- Paint.net for image work ... it isn't the most full featured program around, but it's free and extremely easy to use.

Do you make that profile pic with paint.net?

New ones I am using/forgot to mention:

Snapchat (phone provider dropped my line my only communication is snap...

Youtube

Ifunny

Smash Hit

Awww I came so far from using 30 apps to 4

Edited by Guest