Jump to content
Beocat

Favorite Magical Girl Anime

Favorite Magical Girl Anime   

9 members have voted

  1. 1. Favorite Magical Girl Anime

    • Sailor Moon series
    • Cardcaptor series
    • Lyrical Nanoha series
    • Selector WIXOSS
      0
    • Madoka series
    • Wish Upon the Pleiades
      0
    • Fate Prisma series
      0
    • Little Sammy
      0
    • Others, please list series in your comments
  2. 2. What makes an anime a Magical Girl series and not something else? (Multiple choice)

    • Transformations! Cool outfits are a must!
    • Every series needs a talking familiar....
    • The battles must be of global consequence (in a manner of speaking)
    • Must be more than one magical girl....
      0
    • The magic must be rare, hard to attain, or innate to the characters. No covens here!
    • Secret identities. Everyone excels at Clark Kent style subterfuge.
    • Tragedy is a necessity for the story.
      0
    • Magic.....and girls! What else is there?
    • I missed something....please explain in the comments


Recommended Posts

Let's talk Magical Girls!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too big on Magical Girl shows really, only seen a couple, but Madoka Magicka ended up being one of my favorite things ever so I may have to poke around and see if any others surprise me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SanguineTear said:

I'm not too big on Magical Girl shows really, only seen a couple, but Madoka Magicka ended up being one of my favorite things ever so I may have to poke around and see if any others surprise me. 

Ooh, Madoka got me back into watching Magical Girl animes actually (I had fallen off for years...).  I really think that the Selector series is a good follow up for a Madoka fan.  It is very different...card based...in a Yu-Gi-Oh! kind of way, but has the same kind of twist and darkness hiding in the background.  It really pulled me in.  If you are interested, give it a try sometime.  But truly, not all Magical Girl series can be judged on the same playing field.  Some are dark and some are not.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Dark/Black Magician Girl from Yu-Gi-Oh count as a magician girl? :P

  • Silly 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first one I watched, Cardcaptor Sakura, is my favorite. It was recommended in one of Glass Reflection's videos and since I like a lot of the stuff he does I figured I'd at least give it a shot, and went in expecting to hate it; at the time I wouldn't have wanted to be caught dead watching something that could be considered "girly". Then it ended up as one of my favorite shows, and afterward I decided to at least give every show I come across a chance before I judge it as something I wouldn't like.

  • Friendly 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Optic said:

Does Dark/Black Magician Girl from Yu-Gi-Oh count as a magician girl? :P

You so silly  :D  I suppose if all you need is Magic.....and girls....  LOL  Even I'm not set on a standard definition of what a Magical Girl Anime really entails.  What's your definition or general concept?

 

16 hours ago, Frith said:

The first one I watched, Cardcaptor Sakura, is my favorite. It was recommended in one of Glass Reflection's videos and since I like a lot of the stuff he does I figured I'd at least give it a shot, and went in expecting to hate it; at the time I wouldn't have wanted to be caught dead watching something that could be considered "girly". Then it ended up as one of my favorite shows, and afterward I decided to at least give every show I come across a chance before I judge it as something I wouldn't like.

I have a strong inkling that Cardcaptor Sakura was my first Magical Girl series too.  I was over the moon excited when I heard they were re-releasing it.  Even at $200 for a boxset, I thought that was a steal.  Before I was buying individual DVDs as my budget allowed trying to collect the entire series (expensive!).  Managed to collect four of them before they announced the re-release.  I just absolutely love that series.  I have to admit, my excitement and love for Cardcaptor Sakura far exceeds my fondness for Sailor Moon.  For my sister...it's probably the other way around lol.  I'm not really into super "girly" things either (although I am a woman), but it really doesn't bother me with Magical Girl anime and with my ever increasing age, I find it more a character quirk than anything else.  I'm so glad you gave Cardcaptors a chance ^_^   It really is an awesome anime!  I haven't started watching the new series (I wanted to wait for it to come out completely so I could binge it) but I can barely hold myself back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as much as i like selector its an card game series not a magical girl series, as for my favorite magical girl show that would be yuuki yuuna wa yuusha de aru that show while being somewhat depressing doesn't fall to nihilism like certain other shows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does is this a zombie's ayumu aikawa magic girls imitation count :o

as ifs the only anime ive finished that had any type of magic girl in it

Image result for is this a zombie magical girl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mpo48 said:

as much as i like selector its an card game series not a magical girl series

That's where I disagree. I actually struggled with myself on it before I decided to put it on the list. I finally decided to do it when I remembered the whole point to playing the game was "to become a magical girl and for your wish to come true..." I do think of it as a non-traditional magical girl anime however. 

 

6 hours ago, Wodahs said:

does is this a zombie's ayumu aikawa magic girls imitation count :o

as ifs the only anime ive finished that had any type of magic girl in it

Maybe...what is a Magical Girl anime to you?  If it meets your concept, then sure :) I've never seen that anime but that picture and knowing they're zombies screams Lollipop Chainsaw ^_^ that was a FUN game!

Edited by Beocat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beocat It definitely has a reserved spot on my shelf. As for Sailor Moon, it is a fun watch, but I certainly wasn't as invested in it as CCS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Beocat said:

Maybe...what is a Magical Girl anime to you?  If it meets your concept, then sure :) I've never seen that anime but that picture and knowing they're zombies screams Lollipop Chainsaw ^_^ that was a FUN game!

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? or Is This a Zombie?

Not every zombie is the monstrous, brain-eating type.
One night while walking home from the convenience store, regular high school boy Ayumu Aikawa is killed by a serial killer, and is just as suddenly brought back to life by a necromancer named Eucliwood Hellscythe. One small caveat: he's now a zombie. Things get even weirder for him when he accidentally steals a magical girl's uniform, and thus her powers! Haruna, the ex-magical girl, orders him to fight evil creatures known as Megalo in her place until they can figure out a way to get her powers back to her.
It seems that life is just going to get stranger and stranger for poor Ayumu from here on out in Kore wa Zombie desu ka?.

 

long story short there is a magic girl in the anime but he "ayumu aikawa" at some stage ends up with her powers and he momentarily has to bring out his magical girl side

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say, to no one's surprise, that Madoka☆Magica is my favorite magical girl series. I don't think it's the darkest piece of literature, but deciding to focus on just a few characters definitely makes it one of the saddest stories. I like how deeply they how each of the characters' stories to the point where I don't think very much could be added to any of their stories, and I like all of the characters because of how well they're fleshed out and even if I don't always agree with what they do, I can understand why they did it and learn from it. I also like the adorable art style, while this seems to run in opposition to the otherwise psychological elements, it actually makes it that much more twisted. It's one of my favorite anime titles, second only to Fruits Basket. The only reason that I haven't voted for Madoka☆Magica yet is because of Wish Across, I haven't seen it yet but it has highly peaked my interest.

What I would say makes the genre is innocence. There is always a feeling of innocent or scenes that have that sort of atmosphere, some more sweet moments akin with something like the slice of life genre. So even if the main characters fight during the night, there is always the more relaxed moments during the day.

  • Agree 1
  • Optimistic 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah to be expected Madoka takes the lead, but Fate Kalied isn't half bad...

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, Wodahs said:

long story short there is a magic girl in the anime but he "ayumu aikawa" at some stage ends up with her powers and he momentarily has to bring out his magical girl side

Hmm, you know I did consider that too as there are quite a few "male type" magical girls...I feel like I just confused myself.  Anyways, Sailor Stars season of Sailor Moon, Cute High Earth Defense Club and some others feature Boys that act like Magical Girls (or turn into Magical Girls?).  How do they fit into the big picture or are they something else?  It's something I've often pondered, especially with more series like that being produced these days.

 

8 hours ago, Mars Terra said:

What I would say makes the genre is innocence. There is always a feeling of innocent or scenes that have that sort of atmosphere, some more sweet moments akin with something like the slice of life genre. So even if the main characters fight during the night, there is always the more relaxed moments during the day.

To me it shows a "superhero's life" I suppose.  In most comic books, the crime fighting happens in the evenings, after work (or school), and juggling a normal life with a secret super life is part of the story.  For me, I think Magical Girls do mostly the same thing.  It might be the age factor where most of the innocence comes from.  It's definitely an interesting thought to consider.  I think that a large part of Magical Girl stories is friendship (either with another Magical Girl or someone who is very close to the Main), which lends itself to hope...an innocent hope perhaps.  Hope is a special feeling that is hard to cast and even more difficult to maintain.  You don't see that many anime genres...or much anime at all trying to capture and convey that feeling.

 

4 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

Yeah to be expected Madoka takes the lead, but Fate Kalied isn't half bad...

Hehe, I kind of expected Madoka to take the lead as well.  I have so far abstained from the poll (being the creator) but I would have voted for Cardcaptors and Madoka would still be leading.  I have to admit that Madoka is a very good Magical Girl series and it really blows some older assumptions of Magical Girls out of the water.  It remains a top recommendation from fans for anyone, regardless of whether they are into Magical Girls or not, which really says something about the versatility of the series' own appeal.  I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Christine Cabanos (Madoka's English voice actress) on multiple occasions at cons and she always has a large following.  She can put a room in awe just reciting her favorite lines from Madoka.  One of my best friends is kind of anti-Magical Girl (though she really loves it deep down inside!  She has yet to actively dislike one she's seen.  I guess she just doesn't see herself as enjoying the genre since she tends to gravitate towards bloody, violent stuff usually lol) and we binge watched Madoka one day and blew her mind with it :)  I liked it enough to slowly purchase it myself but I'm always looking for the next one.  I actually got Fate Kalied for Christmas one year and though it took me over a year to get around to watching it (I have a high stress job.  You'd think I'd spend my time at home de-stressing but....bleh...), I absolutely loved it!  I found it downright comical in some places (those who have seen it know what I'm referring to) but still with that Magical Girl charm of innocence and hope.  The tie-in with the rest of the Fate series is a pretty interesting twist too.  I have often wondered if the majority of the fans from the Fate series have watched it, or if it just appeals to a different audience altogether (Magical Girl audiences that is...).  I'd love to know.  I've watched Fate/Stay Night and Fate Kalied but none of the other Fate series. I agree that Fate Kalied should be on any Magical Girl fan's list to watch.

Edited by Beocat
  • Like 1
  • Friendly 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 5:25 PM, Beocat said:

Ooh, Madoka got me back into watching Magical Girl animes actually (I had fallen off for years...).  I really think that the Selector series is a good follow up for a Madoka fan.  It is very different...card based...in a Yu-Gi-Oh! kind of way, but has the same kind of twist and darkness hiding in the background.  It really pulled me in.  If you are interested, give it a try sometime.  But truly, not all Magical Girl series can be judged on the same playing field.  Some are dark and some are not.

Interesting, I may have to check it out, thank you~

Albeit it may end up in limbo on my planned to watch list for a year or two as generally happens for me...

Oh come to think of it, Lyical Nanoha and it's sequels/spinoffs have been there for a bit over two years as well. I did get one of them watched during that time and found it to be alright. Although it wasn't a standard magical girl show so to speak; they had transformation scenes and there was a tiny bit of magic, but it mostly was martial arts. Can't remember the name of it to save my life though... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2018 at 4:33 AM, Beocat said:

To me it shows a "superhero's life" I suppose.  In most comic books, the crime fighting happens in the evenings, after work (or school), and juggling a normal life with a secret super life is part of the story.  For me, I think Magical Girls do mostly the same thing.  It might be the age factor where most of the innocence comes from.  It's definitely an interesting thought to consider.  I think that a large part of Magical Girl stories is friendship (either with another Magical Girl or someone who is very close to the Main), which lends itself to hope...an innocent hope perhaps.  Hope is a special feeling that is hard to cast and even more difficult to maintain.  You don't see that many anime genres...or much anime at all trying to capture and convey that feeling.

 

I think you probably put it into perspective much better than I did. The reason for the similarity of magical girl with superhero is because that is what Sailor Moon was intended to be, though some might refer to earlier works such as Himitsu no Akko-chan and Sally The Witch as magical girl as well. Furthermore, Some later series' like Full Moon O Sagashite and Shugo Chara do not even have a crime fighting within them.

Edited by Mars Terra
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For Magical Girl type anime's I have to say there were a lot of things I liked about them. Like in some series there outfits or powers were awesome and very interesting, even there transformation scenes were pretty sweet as well. I would say Sailor Moon was the best kind of Magical Girl I thought at first but when seeing Cardcaptor Sakura I liked that story more and thought Sakura was super kawaii and she was an intriguing character.

I would have to say Homura Akemi from Madoka☆Magica I relate to a lot from the series and like her as a character. We have "some" similar things in common so this makes me like her and relate on some level. I also like and watched sorta growing up Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura. And have some favorites from those series as well.  I'm still re- watching Madoka☆Magica  right now and hope to finish it soon. I watched it maybe 2 years ago and didn't much understand most of what it was about but now thinking back and re- watching it now I have a better understand of it and quite enjoy it. 

 

Edited by Athena
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2018 at 2:02 AM, Beocat said:

You so silly  :D  I suppose if all you need is Magic.....and girls....  LOL  Even I'm not set on a standard definition of what a Magical Girl Anime really entails.  What's your definition or general concept?

Personally I think any female mage, magician or sorceress should qualify! Often they have cute costumes too.

BUT I suppose the key thing for a magical girl anime is, the female character(s) have to transform from a normal human. And after they transform, they have to gain mind blowing abilities.

On that definition Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha would be my favourite magical girl anime series. Am really looking forward to the new movies. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, Athena said:

For Magical Girl type anime's I have to say there were a lot of things I liked about them. Like in some series there outfits or powers were awesome and very interesting, even there transformation scenes were pretty sweet as well. I would say Sailor Moon was the best kind of Magical Girl I thought at first but when seeing Cardcaptor Sakura I liked that story more and thought Sakura was super kawaii and she was an intriguing character.

I would have to say Homura Akemi from Madoka☆Magica I relate to a lot from the series and like her as a character. We have "some" similar things in common so this makes me like her and relate on some level. I also like and watched sorta growing up Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura. And have some favorites from those series as well.  I'm still re- watching Madoka☆Magica  right now and hope to finish it soon. I watched it maybe 2 years ago and didn't much understand most of what it was about but now thinking back and re- watching it now I have a better understand of it and quite enjoy it. 

 

It sounds as though your favorite magical girl anime has changed over time.  I think that's a good thing.  For many people, Sailor Moon is the first magical girl anime they think of...the DBZ of Magical Girls.  There are lots of series out there and still more to discover yet.  There are so many that I have yet to watch even.

 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:09 AM, Optic said:

Personally I think any female mage, magician or sorceress should qualify! Often they have cute costumes too.

BUT I suppose the key thing for a magical girl anime is, the female character(s) have to transform from a normal human. And after they transform, they have to gain mind blowing abilities.

On that definition Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha would be my favourite magical girl anime series. Am really looking forward to the new movies. :)

So...Optic....you believe deep down that Louise the Zero (Familiar of Zero) is a magical girl?  ^_^  Ahhahaha.....I'm not sure many Magical Girls use whips like that....hehe...  :naughty:

 

That being said, I think that the zero to hero transformation is pretty important for the genre too.  You know, I still have yet to watch Nanoha.  It's been on my list for years but for years I've been....oppressed by my miserable job.  Time to make time for new anime again!  Summer is almost here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beocat Yeah that is true and yes I had a lot and still like a lot of Magical Girl series and characters out there. (✿◠‿◠) Sailor Moon was partly a first for me and even my sister got into that one with me as well so we bonded over it and watched it together, which was really nice I have to admit. ❁◕ ‿ ◕❁ But I would say Cardcaptor Sakura. was my own show I discovered and gotten into first, then others came along afterwords. I heard Tweeny Witches is consider a Magical Girl genera I looked it up on Google and when I put in Magical Girl Anime in the search bar, it had a list of a few Magical Girl series out there now and it was on it. I didn't know at first it was consider as one but I was quite surprised and liked knowing that.(‐^▽^‐) I have yet to finish the whole series but so far I really liked it and probably will re - watch it sometime since it's been some time since I did watched it last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 7:16 AM, Athena said:

I would have to say Homura Akemi from Madoka☆Magica I relate to a lot from the series and like her as a character. We have "some" similar things in common so this makes me like her and relate on some level.

 

That's part of why Homura is one of my favorite anime characters, along with how much she changes because of what happens.  That, and she doesn't reallt fight for the good of mankind or anything like that; once upon a time she did maybe, but ultimately it came down to her working toward her own personal goal. Albeit it required saving the world anyways, but she wasn't  doing it for the sake of mankind.

Oh and if by chance you haven't watched the Rebellion movie I'd highly recommend it. Keep in mind a good number of people didn't care for it I think, so there's that to think about, but it was for me what cemented Homura as maybe my favorite character of all time and an enjoyable experience overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glitter force and Glitter force: Doki Doki. I have not yet watched Madoka magica.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Madoka Magica, though I've not watched that many magical girl anime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Athena said:

@Beocat Yeah that is true and yes I had a lot and still like a lot of Magical Girl series and characters out there. (✿◠‿◠) Sailor Moon was partly a first for me and even my sister got into that one with me as well so we bonded over it and watched it together, which was really nice I have to admit.

Sailor Moon was a favorite of my sister and the only anime series that she and I have ever watched together.  She....thinks very little of anime.  Somehow, I have no idea how, she has fallen into the trap of thinking that all anime is violent and bloody and bad for people.  Sailor Moon is the only anime she has ever appreciated.  Some day I hope to introduce my nieces, her daughters, to Cardcaptor Sakura.  I don't want them to fall into that same trap that she did.

 

20 hours ago, SanguineTear said:

That's part of why Homura is one of my favorite anime characters, along with how much she changes because of what happens.  That, and she doesn't reallt fight for the good of mankind or anything like that; once upon a time she did maybe, but ultimately it came down to her working toward her own personal goal. Albeit it required saving the world anyways, but she wasn't  doing it for the sake of mankind.

Oh and if by chance you haven't watched the Rebellion movie I'd highly recommend it. Keep in mind a good number of people didn't care for it I think, so there's that to think about, but it was for me what cemented Homura as maybe my favorite character of all time and an enjoyable experience overall. 

I love Homura too ^_^  Homura and Madoka.  She is my best friend's favorite character too.  Part of it is that you see how she completely changed (from a timid, uncertain girl to a determined, independent one) and part I think is her undying loyalty to Madoka.  I have not yet watched the Rebellion movie...I'm slowly collecting them as my budget allows and I plan to watch them when I have everything together in one spot.

 

19 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

Glitter force and Glitter force: Doki Doki. I have not yet watched Madoka magica.

Whoa...I hadn't heard of that one.  I just looked it up.  I might have to check it out eventually. 

3 hours ago, Bernkastel said:

I'd say Madoka Magica, though I've not watched that many magical girl anime.

Truthfully, I can't say that I've watched that many either in comparison to the rest of my collection.  I wonder how many magical girl series actually make it outside of Japan. 

  • Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums is where fans from around the world can gather to discuss anime and Japanese culture!  All anime fans are welcome. Take a moment to join us now!
×