What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

Still working through Dark Cloud with Muska Lacka. I have finished rebuilding the town so only the boss remains but, since I found a new weapon for Toan, I have to take a detour to level up his weapons to consolidate at least one of them. That way if I find a new weapon for him, there is room. The resource management in this game is really the only reason it is not a 20 hour experience to beat. It makes me on the fence if I will get the sequel one day, but we will see.

I've been playing Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on Switch. I've had Quezacotl and Shiva learn everything except SumMag+30% which I'm working on now. I'm using Card a lot since the monsters level up as your characters level up in that game. A lot of refining monsters turned into cards into items. lol Even so, it's worth it. So far I've got 5 rare Card transformations of the Glacial Eye monsters that ended up giving me Jumbo Cactuar. Bite Bug's (which I'm working on right now) rare Card transformation is Elnoyle which refines into 10 Death Stones, but as far as actually playing cards the Jumbo Cactuar card has better numbers. After maxing out the number of Death Stones from Elnoyle cards, I'll move on to the Caterchipillar to get the rare card Trauma via the Card ability on it. I'll have to save after every battle with those monstrous caterpillars though since they can cast Berserk on my characters. If it did, they'd be forced to gain experience points which I don't want for Quistis or Squall right now. Using Card to turn monsters into cards voids any and all experience points that would usually be had from battles. So, it's a good way to hoard items from monsters without gaining levels. ^^ T-Rexaur has the rare card transformation of Shumi Tribe which will also be useful. I'm not sure what items those refine into though. ^^; I guess I'll find out. XD

• Winner 1

1 hour ago, Wild Emotion said:

I've been playing Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on Switch. I've had Quezacotl and Shiva learn everything except SumMag+30% which I'm working on now. I'm using Card a lot since the monsters level up as your characters level up in that game. A lot of refining monsters turned into cards into items. lol Even so, it's worth it. So far I've got 5 rare Card transformations of the Glacial Eye monsters that ended up giving me Jumbo Cactuar. Bite Bug's (which I'm working on right now) rare Card transformation is Elnoyle which refines into 10 Death Stones, but as far as actually playing cards the Jumbo Cactuar card has better numbers. After maxing out the number of Death Stones from Elnoyle cards, I'll move on to the Caterchipillar to get the rare card Trauma via the Card ability on it. I'll have to save after every battle with those monstrous caterpillars though since they can cast Berserk on my characters. If it did, they'd be forced to gain experience points which I don't want for Quistis or Squall right now. Using Card to turn monsters into cards voids any and all experience points that would usually be had from battles. So, it's a good way to hoard items from monsters without gaining levels. ^^ T-Rexaur has the rare card transformation of Shumi Tribe which will also be useful. I'm not sure what items those refine into though. ^^; I guess I'll find out. XD

Triple Triad is a fun card game for sure. What is your motivation for not leveling up now? Are you trying to farm for Junctions first, or just wanting to max out your GFs before continuing fights? Usually if you keep up on your Junctioning, the level scaling is not really a problem.

2 minutes ago, Daxter said:

Triple Triad is a fun card game for sure. What is your motivation for not leveling up now? Are you trying to farm for Junctions first, or just wanting to max out your GFs before continuing fights? Usually if you keep up on your Junctioning, the level scaling is not really a problem.

Yeah it is! I'm at the part just before the Fire Cavern and I haven't played the game in a long time. I'm not looking to get in over my head.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wild Emotion said:

Yeah it is! I'm at the part just before the Fire Cavern and I haven't played the game in a long time. I'm not looking to get in over my head.

Gotcha, it sounds like you are wanting to get a head start on your item inventory and Triple Triad playing. Sounds like fun!

Not much time for games lately but I did spend a couple hours exploring an underwater cavern/cave complex in minecraft.  Actually it started with finding & looting an ocean ruin looking for suspicious sand & gravel but one of the ruined buildings was down at the bottom of a nearby canyon.  One end of the canyon dove underground then opened up into this huge cave complex.  Interesting scenery.  Got a lot of glow ink sacs, a bunch of copper and iron ore, and even a few diamonds.  A few copper bars from the numerous Drowned as well.  Unfortunately no more tridents.  No armor templates from the ruins either.

2023-11-05_16_29_54.thumb.png.28ab3a3d50ec3fabdb751b5f91e9bfc2.png

Edited by efaardvark
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Daxter said:

Gotcha, it sounds like you are wanting to get a head start on your item inventory and Triple Triad playing. Sounds like fun!

Yeah. That, and getting some good magic early on to put me in a better position to Junction stats. The only time I ever beat the game was when I was a kid and had a Gameshark CDX with all kinds of codes for it. lol It's the only way I was able to finish off Ultimecia in the very final fight of the game, but back then I didn't really comprehend the Juntcion system. Now that I'm older it makes more sense. I don't actually know if it's because I'm older or because I'm just paying more attention to it. o.0 Oh, and getting some strong weapons early on, too. ^^

38 minutes ago, Wild Emotion said:

Yeah. That, and getting some good magic early on to put me in a better position to Junction stats. The only time I ever beat the game was when I was a kid and had a Gameshark CDX with all kinds of codes for it. lol It's the only way I was able to finish off Ultimecia in the very final fight of the game, but back then I didn't really comprehend the Juntcion system. Now that I'm older it makes more sense. I don't actually know if it's because I'm older or because I'm just paying more attention to it. o.0 Oh, and getting some strong weapons early on, too. ^^

Makes sense, sounds like you are constructing a power file to breeze through the game! The Junction system definitely takes some getting used to as not only do you have to go out of your way to draw magic, but you then have to be careful about using it as well. I see why that system never advanced to other titles, but I always liked the idea of it.

8 hours ago, Daxter said:

Makes sense, sounds like you are constructing a power file to breeze through the game! The Junction system definitely takes some getting used to as not only do you have to go out of your way to draw magic, but you then have to be careful about using it as well. I see why that system never advanced to other titles, but I always liked the idea of it.

I don't know about a power file, but it'd just be nice not to panic during boss fights. lol Besides that, I really need to build up Quistis' Blue Magic list. Playing a whole bunch of Triple Triad is a good way to accrue those. ^^ I'll wait until I've got all of the party together before I start leveling up, too.

5 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

I don't know about a power file, but it'd just be nice not to panic during boss fights. lol Besides that, I really need to build up Quistis' Blue Magic list. Playing a whole bunch of Triple Triad is a good way to accrue those. ^^ I'll wait until I've got all of the party together before I start leveling up, too.

Fair enough, but between you almost completing the first two GFs and the items you are building up, you should be able to get through the next eight hours of progress as you are now if you optimize everything. New characters scale in level based on your party level so you don’t have to worry about someone missing out if you start your leveling early.

I don’t remember Blue Magic being tied to Triple Triad though, what do you mean by that?

2 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

I'll stick to the plan. ^^

The items you get from Card Mod can be used to teach Quistis various Blue Magic.

Haha, well you certainly will not have any issues inventory wise. I would say you not leveling would balance that out difficulty wise, but since Junctions determine how the bulk of battles go, you should have a smooth time with it.

Oh, I know what you are talking about now with the Blue Magic. I was thinking of Final Fantasy IX’s Blue Magic system this whole time for some reason. Probably since both Blue Mages have a ‘q’ name. But true, that is a good way to get a head start with that. As long as you have Degenerator, random encounters should be fine. Good luck and keep us posted!

After a bit of playing with allays and reading of wikis I discovered that allays can be directed to give their items to a note block instead of the player.  Normally if a player gives an item to an allay it will follow the player around, pick up any items that match the one the player gave to it, and deliver the item(s) to the player.  I went and built a pumpkin farm that used allays to collect the pumpkins after they were "picked" by pistons.  To keep them from following me or wandering off while waiting for the pumpkins to grow I tied them to leads.  This worked but I wasn't too happy with the production rate due to the limited reach of the leads.

I decided to make a bigger version, but glass it over so the allays can fly freely within and seek for their item(s) over a larger area.  While I was at it I planted a few flowers and added a couple beehives.  This new version not only produces melons and pumpkins, but honey, honeycomb, and sugarcane as well.  The honey and honeycomb are collected by hopper but the melons, pumpkin, and sugarcane are collected by the allays after being broken by piston.  The same redstone signal that triggers the pistons also pings the note block.  For about 30 seconds or so after the note block is triggered any items collected by the allays are then thrown at the note block, under which is a hopper that collects the items and transfers them to a chest for storage.

The whole thing works surprisingly well.  It produces enough that I can trade the melons and pumpkins to a nearby farmer for enough golden carrots to sustain my night vision potion habit and use the 'cane to make paper to sell to a cartographer for a steady supply of easy emeralds.  :)

Spoiler

2023-11-22_22_23_53.thumb.png.ecf96e71b23174b680a88b084499e699.png

• Wow 1

Still working through Dark Cloud, I managed to beat Muska Lacka but the weapon inventory limitations are frustrating. Toan has all his weapon slots full so I am trying to upgrade his weapons but I do not want to burn my supply of repair kits to do it. Plus, I don’t have a good supply of weapon attachments anyway. So I may have to just progress and hope he does not get another weapon for a while. I am still going to try and stick with the weapon upgrading for now but we will see what happens.

Since today is a holiday where I live, I'm not going to go anywhere and spend the day relaxing at home and playing OSRS 🥳 I already got 2 hunter levels today on it and will probably get 1 more before going back to farming (should get 92 farming today). 

3 minutes ago, Sakura said:

Since today is a holiday where I live, I'm not going to go anywhere and spend the day relaxing at home and playing OSRS 🥳 I already got 2 hunter levels today on it and will probably get 1 more before going back to farming (should get 92 farming today). 

Holiday here too but I'm the designated driver responsible for getting this half of the family to the other half for holiday dinner.  That's about 1.5hrs one way (depending on Los Angeles freeway traffic) plus dinner itself and a bit of socializing afterward means I'll probably be getting back late and tired so no games for me today.

I do have tomorrow off as well tho so maybe some more minecraft or kerbal space program then.  Fingers crossed.  :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Holiday here too but I'm the designated driver responsible for getting this half of the family to the other half for holiday dinner.  That's about 1.5hrs one way (depending on Los Angeles freeway traffic) plus dinner itself and a bit of socializing afterward means I'll probably be getting back late and tired so no games for me today.

I do have tomorrow off as well tho so maybe some more minecraft or kerbal space program then.  Fingers crossed.  :)

The idea of socializing is why I stayed home this year lol ~ Traveling every year like that back and forth and around to everyone's houses mostly feels stressful to me anymore, at least browsing the internet with a cup of hot chocolate and playing some games is much more relaxing 🤭 I have always wanted to play Minecraft but I never have despite hearing so much about it. 

2 hours ago, Sakura said:

The idea of socializing is why I stayed home this year lol 

Socializing is not really my thing either but I can handle doing it once a year for the fam.

Steam has a lot of games on sale right now, so I bought the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War bundle.

Started playing SoM just a little while ago. I like it so far, but I'm still getting used to the controls a little bit.

Edited by viruxx

More work is being done in Dark Cloud though now I am at Yellow Drops so exploring the Moon Sea to rebuild the Moon Factory is the goal. I am still concerned with my weapon inventory for Toan, but I am going to try and push ahead as is for now.

21 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Socializing is not really my thing either but I can handle doing it once a year for the fam.

I do it on Christmas but that's usually about the only day :)

• Like 1

I removed the center flowers in that allay habitat / melon farm and turned it into a small pond.  Then below that I dug out a large chamber and added an 8x8x8 tropical fish aquarium and viewing gallery.  I read somewhere that there's over 2000 combinations of fish shape, type, and pattern for tropical fish & I wanted to have someplace large enough to collect them all.  jk  🤣
And now that there's water I'm going to try adding a few tadpoles.  Do fish eat tadpoles?  Guess I'll find out.

Spoiler

2023-11-24_21_03_47.thumb.png.d8443b6a4a8972ee9233338e16e9cb14.png

2023-11-24_21_01_51.thumb.png.0b0375c5e414974a0f1eeb8bc613c5bf.png

I also cleared out an underwater geode.  If you get rid of all of the amethyst blocks that don't have cracks in them and all the calcite and basalt then you can maximize the growth of the buds and clusters on the remaining cracked amethyst.  The amethyst crystals will grow underwater and the water makes it easier to collect them so I like to do this when I find one underwater.  (Unfortunately you can't transport the cracked blocks so you have to do this wherever the geode happens to be.  Trying to mine the cracked blocks even with silk touch destroys them completely.)

This geode is really deep too.  Just at the level where deepslate starts to form.  That's deep enough that glow squid (and Drowned) also spawn in the water nearby.  That usually gives me a couple glow ink sacs as a bonus every time I make the trip to harvest the amethyst.

Spoiler

2023-11-24_13_10_24.thumb.png.11b366664b276c56fbc28d73cf59d4f3.png

• Winner 1

In Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on Switch I've collected 100 Death Stones from refining 10 Elnoyle cards I got as a rare result from using Card on Bite Bug. Just in case, I've stocked 10 Elnoyle cards for refining into more Death Stones later on in addition to the 10 I've already refined. It turns out if you have 100 cards of the a monster and you use Card on it you get only the rare card result. Not all monsters transform into a rare Card though, like Fastitocalon-F. Unfortunately sometimes Card doesn't work though when that's the case, but that's what the Life magic is for. ^^ One thing about this game I love is the infinite supply of magic you can Draw or refine from items in this game. :D I've collected 5 Jumbo Cards as the rare transformation of Glacial Eye via the Card ability, too. Right now I'm working on getting 5 Trauma cards from Caterchipillar as the rare result from using Card on it. It's taking a lot longer since Caterchipillar can cast Berserk sometimes with Ultra Waves when its HP is low. You need to reduce a monster's HP first in order to use Card on them to turn them into Triple Triad cards. It's worth it though since the card has some considerable numbers on it, especially this early in the game. ^^ I save after each Caterchipillar encounter so I don't gain any experience points until I absolutely want to. lol Maybe I'm too intimidated by it, but either way, I'd rather not find myself in a situation I regret getting into only to find that I have no way out of it. ><

• Like 1
  • Wow 1