Why are you here on this forum?

Bulletje76

This has been bugging me for some time now and i need your opinion please.

I see a lot of people starting threads or replying only with their opinion. So lets look at the " what are you watching" thread. People post their opinion and reply. I see this so many times. I cannot explain it better than to tell that everyone live their own live. We post our reply and we post our thread, without reading eachothers. I am guilty as well. i post a reply on a anime i love. BUT at least i always tell myself,..read the previous 3 replies and like them.

Can we use this foru m to read and understand eachother instead of webloggin your opinion?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

5 hours ago, Bulletje76 said:

I see a lot of people starting threads or replying only with their opinion. So lets look at the " what are you watching" thread. People post their opinion and reply. I see this so many times. I cannot explain it better than to tell that everyone live their own live. We post our reply and we post our thread, without reading eachothers. I am guilty as well. i post a reply on a anime i love. BUT at least i always tell myself,..read the previous 3 replies and like them.

Can we use this foru m to read and understand eachother instead of webloggin your opinion?

For me personally, I read prior replies before posting but if I don’t know the material referenced or don’t have an opinion of what I just read, then there really is no reaction to give. I do think everyone should at least read prior replies and not just stay in their own world, but I also do not think it would nurture the right environment if people react without genuinely wanting to do so.

• Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, Bulletje76 said:

So lets look at the " what are you watching" thread

Posts on the "what are you watching" thread are a mixed bag, they vary between just name of the series the poster is watching to a detailed mini-review of the series, but very often whatever the length of the post it rarely gets any reactions let alone replies. It is of course difficult to reply to a post about a series you've not seen and know nothing about, but there have been occasions where I've replied to a posting and asked a question about the series mentioned but the original poster hasn't replied to me.
I find the "what are you watching" thread quite interesting and as a result of reading posts on it I've found series that I enjoyed watching that I otherwise might not have discovered.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:22 PM, Bulletje76 said:

I think you have a good point there. As a community we don't seem very good at engaging with each other, one example being that on occasions I've seen questions asked, or been asked a question directly, to which I provided an answer, but the questioner hasn't bothered to reply, surely it's just common courtesy to thank someone for taking the time to answer your question.

2024 is only a few weeks away, so perhaps we should all make a New Year resolution to interact with each other more instead of just blogging.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Animedragon said:

2024 is only a few weeks away, so perhaps we should all make a New Year resolution to interact with each other more instead of just blogging.

Yes! Let's! I really enjoy interacting with everyone on the forum, so I wouldn't mind reaching out more(*^▽^*)

• Like 1

WHY ARE YOU HERE ON THIS FORUM?

I noticed I dont have anime forum so my pick is this site. Lately, when I loggin my account on animesuki, they disabled it, reason is 'i requested to be disabled' lol i have no memory of requesting to be disabled🤣 they invented that🤣 i am only inactive for several years so they disabled it🤣 their reason is cute😜

i'll be honest, i'm not very active on here anymore, but i'll try to be! maybe i'll try and get back into some more anime again, idk.

no promises though 😭

but yeah, i think you're definitely right that some more interaction between members would be nice. it's a very lovely community on here, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to do more ^^

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

but yeah, i think you're definitely right that some more interaction between members would be nice. it's a very lovely community on here, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to do more ^^

Yes, a bit more interaction would be nice. Especially if you've answered someone's question.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 12:22 PM, Bulletje76 said:

Well it can depend. For example many of the topics are the "can you identify this" stuff that people could probably find easier by using google. personally I keep an eye out for all kinds of topics, but if the original poster doesn't put more than a sentence down themselves, like they're typing on a cell phone, then often I have trouble responding. 

The main reason I get on here anymore is to interact with the few friends I have here and respond to their DM's. I also like posting on the forum games because it's something fun to come here and do. I really like forums a bit better than say, group Discord chats, for talking with others because I feel like I can keep up better on a forum. 

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/2/2024 at 11:39 AM, Clayton said:

like they're typing on a cell phone

Hey!  I resemble that remark!*  :D  I can read on my cell ok but typing with my big fingers on this tiny keyboard is a challenge.  I tell myself to remember to respond properly when I get home on my real computer + keyboard but the reality is that by the end of the workday I'm usually too preoccupied with higher priorities to remember and/or too tired to actually do the deed, especially for the sort of lengthy replies that would require a keyboard.

16 hours ago, Sakura said:

I really like forums a bit better than say, group Discord chats, for talking with others because I feel like I can keep up better on a forum.

I agree.  I've done the discord thing occasionally too.  (At least for other forums. I think the old AF channel is defunct at this point.)  I actually prefer it in some respects.  My "problem" with something like discord is that it is too easy for me to sucked into the realtime chattiness and spend more time on it than I really ought to.  Forums also tend to have a higher signal-to-noise ration so I don't avoid them so much.  As a consequence I think I actually pay more attention to what's posted to a forum than I do to discord-style chat rooms, even when I don't post or respond quite so much.

Edited by efaardvark
typoos
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I agree.  I've done the discord thing occasionally too.  (At least for other forums. I think the old AF channel is defunct at this point.)  I actually prefer it in some respects.  My "problem" with something like discord is that it is too easy for me to sucked into the realtime chattiness and spend more time on it than I really ought to.  Forums also tend to have a higher signal-to-noise ration so I don't avoid them so much.  As a consequence I think I actually pay more attention to what's posted to a forum than I do to discord-style chat rooms, even when I don't post or respond quite so much.

I prefer Discord for 1 on 1 chatting with friends, but when it comes to group settings, I think that's when I prefer forums like AF. In group chats on Discord I seem to not participate too much like I do on a forum. I remember the AF chat on Discord but I didn't get involved in it too much either for this reason lol. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...