What do you do with your old technology and games?

Optic

What do you do with your old technology?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your old technology?

• I sell them second hand (e.g. Ebay, private sales, etc.)
    • I trade them in at a retail store (e.g. EB Games)
    • I will keep them in storage and play with it from time to time for nostalgic value
    • I will keep them in long term storage as a collectible and sell it when the value skyrockets

About to sell my old Nintendo 3DS XL (I prefer my PS Vita) and Lenovo X220 laptop (I use my Surface Pro 3 now) to clear some space in my bedroom. And hopefully use the extra cash for some more anime related merchandise. ;)

Which made me wonder, what do you do with your old technology?

I suppose it depends on the type of technology. Laptops and Smartphones for example don't generally hold their value well over time and depreciate quickly, with the exception of Apple devices. They have excellent resale value.

But gaming consoles might increase in value when they inevitably go out of production - think retro gaming. If you have a cult classic game series (e.g. Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy) that will without a doubt hold much higher value over time.

Feel free to select all that apply in the poll.

I semi recently sold all my DS games that I no longer played, or that were not amazing, and I probably wouldn't play them ever again. I did keep a few though like Infinite Space (my favorite game of all time), and Radiant Historia (my second favorite game of all time). I also sold my Nintendo DS XL as my Nintendo 3DS plays all the games I want. I have a Vita as well, but I rarely play it, and have contemplated selling it, but will most likely keep it as it probably has a bad resale value anyway. Also, is the Surface Pro 3 really that much better than the X220? Lenovo makes some pretty high quality stuff on the Thinkpad end, and I was kinda surprised to see that you preferred the Surface 3 over the Thinkpad.

• Like 1

Also, is the Surface Pro 3 really that much better than the X220? Lenovo makes some pretty high quality stuff on the Thinkpad end, and I was kinda surprised to see that you preferred the Surface 3 over the Thinkpad.

Indeed, the X220 has outstanding battery life, I could easily get 7-8 hours on that thing and the keyboard is second to none. I enjoyed typing on it. It also had a decent IPS screen which gives nice viewing angles. But the screen resolution isn't great... 1366x768 on a 12.5" display. And it doesn't have Windows 8 support because Lenovo is no longer releasing drivers for that model - which is fair enough as it did come with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Since my desktop is now using Windows 8.1 I'm just keeping with the times.

Indeed, the X220 has outstanding battery life, I could easily get 7-8 hours on that thing and the keyboard is second to none. I enjoyed typing on it. It also had a decent IPS screen which gives nice viewing angles. But the screen resolution isn't great... 1366x768 on a 12.5" display. And it doesn't have Windows 8 support because Lenovo is no longer releasing drivers for that model - which is fair enough as it did come with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Since my desktop is now using Windows 8.1 I'm just keeping with the times.

Ah, okay, so thats why. Since it is a Lenovo, you can probably take apart a few pieces and upgrade the display so you could have 1920x1080 if you wanted to. As for the drivers, I really don't think that is the case. You can just download the drivers from Intel. My friend has the Thinkpad x230, and besides battery life, win8.1 runs fine on his machine which really is not that much different than yours.

Guest Jupiter

I'll keep my old stuff around. I know I'll want to dig it up from time to time and I have a lot of money invested in that. I would never get back what I have put into it, so for me...it wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

Oh I keep everything, unless a friend wants a game that I no longer use, then I will let them borrow it or just give it to them. Problem about selling things back is you generally get next to nothing back, and I would rather have the ability to go back and play an old favorite than have an extra $5 to $15 that I could easily get through other means. As far as selling things in the long run, unfortunately that isn't too profitable really. Old consoles don't tend to sell for much, and old games generally are only highly valued if you have them in the original box and sealed. If you do happen to have any of the Pokemon games for the Gameboy or Gameboy advance still sealed though, those tend to sell for $200 to $300

I definitely keep them.

I have old things laying around (like a GBA, a GBC, PS1, etc.) that I may not use with any regularity, but I still like having them around... I never sell games themselves unless I am absolutely sure that I will never want to play them again. If there is any doubt, I usually end up regretting it later.

If I could have kept my old game's and consoles I would have , but I hardly ever play games . . . although when I do I get 100% obsessed and play 24/7 until I have completed it to the fullest. Unfortunately I had to sell many of my old consoles and games (the only console that I actually wan't now is a PS4 so I can play Kingdom Hearts 3 :'() . My old laptops and computers are often given away by my family before I can even set up the new ones. The only things that are safe are my HDD and my music gear (thank kami-sama:?).

Guest Jupiter
If I could have kept my old game's and consoles I would have , but I hardly ever play games . . . although when I do I get 100% obsessed and play 24/7 until I have completed it to the fullest.

Sort of how I am. I get a burst of activity when it comes to games...and I have to be in the mood...I really do. Than I take long....long breaks. I get burned out and don't want to pick up a controller at all. Some games to me lose their flair completely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was foolish enough to sell my XBox 360 and my NDS back then. Boy, do I regret it now. I needed the money then to buy other stuff I liked. And, being the reckless thick-head that I am, I didn't think of anything else other than the money at the time. Money's a rather precious resource around here...

I still have a good old tech around here, but I have a harder time selling them now because I don't have a cellphone. Usually, I would post my number online for them to get back to me if they're interested in the offer. Now, without a cell, it's awfully inconvenient. And besides, I don't really have as many worthy goods to sell besides my Blue Yeti microphone. I also have a digital camera, but apparently, it's old enough that the 'pixel resolution' is outdated in this day and age; no one's interested.

I keep them for as long as they're in working condition -- make them last for as long as I can. If they fail and end up no longer being able to work properly, it goes in the garbage.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I used to just sell my older games and consoles when the new one was released. I did that with the PS1 when the PS2 came out because it was a backwards compatible system. I did this yet again with my PS2 when the PS3 came along. Also because I no longer played my PS2. So there was no point in keeping it around.

I however did not do this with my PS3 when the PS4 was released because I am not ready to part with my PS3. IF I do that, I will no longer get to play great games like the classic Assassin's Creed games, I will not get to play Skyrim, I will not get to play the old Fallout games either. So it seems there are more negative points than there are positive sides to this situation of me getting rid of a system that I can still play on.

It's really undecided at this point on whether or not that I'll trade in or sell my PS3 slim and all the games that I have. If the PS4 somehow get's an emulator to play PS3. Than that will weight heavily in my future decision. Another could be when I no longer play on my PS3. But for now, I'd rather keep it.

Edited by Guest

I keep almost everything, no touching. If I have formed an emotional bond with an item, I'm gonna keep it by my side forever :P

I wish my brother would be the same....He just haaaad to sell his PS3 when I needed just a couple of hours to finish a game -_-

I mostly keep everything. I am quite the hoarder to be honest. I still even have pc builds I did in the 90's hanging around that havent been run since those times. Sometimes I sell spare parts or trade them for others. I'll trade games sometimes too but for the most part I keep everything.

• 10 months later...

I've never gotten rid of a console. I might get rid of my PS3 though since we have two of them and mine is tucked away in a box. Perhaps I'll sell it one day.

I have a 3DS XL that I never touch, so I gave it to my boyfriend.

For phones, I've generally just used them until they don't work well anymore, then I upgrade and recycle the old one. Or, in one case I upgraded early so that I could give my old phone to someone who needed it because theirs broke and I owed them some money anyway.

I only just bought my second laptop this year. What I'm doing with my first one is turning it into a karaoke system for my mum for Christmas. Right now she uses a karaoke disc player and has over 400 discs. So I'm transferring everything onto a hard drive for her, that way everything will be digital and much easier to manage.