Jump to content

RepentantSky

AF Member
  • Posts

    906
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Everything posted by RepentantSky

  1. Most of these games are for PlayStation 4 but DBFZ is also on Xbox One and PC. I'm pretty sure some 3DS and Switch games are also supposed to come out in January, but I couldn't confirm anything so I didn't add them.
  2. Gonna add something to this because Kawaii Metal has some serious Jams so here are two of my favorite:
  3. There is a lot happening in January 2018. RPG's, fighters, action adventure titles, and more are all coming. This seems to me like the most stacked month of the start of a year in a really long time. Problem is, who's going to have the time and the money to play all those games? Much as I would love to play pretty much all of the major titles, that's looking at 300 dollars base rpice for everything, seems like a lot. What games are you excited for in January? Let me know if I leave any out.
  4. "I'm gonna cast this spell, and look damn good while doing it."
  5. Now that we're actually live with this new forum layout, I'm quite impressed. The wait was worth it because this looks better and smoother than the beta ever did.
  6. Monster Hunter Stories is my recent obsession. I've played it at least a little bit every day for the last two weeks. Other than that, I'm just messing around with some of the PS Vita free games from PSN.
  7. I'm not even going to acknowledge that first bit, because it's just so far off from anything that makes sense it's not even a good excuse. However the fear of guns thing never made sense in how it played out. Shion is afraid of a gun, and yet uses what should be the most powerful gun type in the game. I can understand her being afraid of the kind of gun that she used to kill to defend herself, but there's not really any indication of that outside of looking back into her past. I mean really, you see her past and her fear, but within her present self, I don't see that fear. In fact the only time I see her afraid is when she gets back to the real world before goes all god mode in real life again and saves her, after just being a god in the game. Yes Yuuki needed to be on that machine, but it should have been monitoring her health so they would be very close to knowing when she was about to die. Her last minutes should have been with whatever family could be there so they could say goodbye to her before she actually died. Even if she couldn't respond to them, no family is knowingly going to let their loved one die in a video game and not get the chance to say goodbye to them before they pass. Asuna being the jealous type isn't the problem. The problem is that is that's all she is until meeting Yuuki, and then after Yuuki dies, she goes right back to it. That is not character development, or at the very least, any development is lost when she doesn't do anything with it. Just because it can happen, doesn't make it a good story, even more so because it's one of the worst and most annoying stereotypes anime has ever used and it's also probably older than most if not all the members on this forums. Earning that would have been fine, but when people just jump on a dude as he lands in front of them, that is lazy. You cannot dismiss what I'm saying with logic because your logic is based on giving excuses to laziness, at best. How about the flaw where he can suddenly hack better than real life human has ever been able to save Yui, which kills all dramatic tension for the rest of that arc. How about the giant flaw that is Ordinal Scale, where real life drones like that would never exist, or how common sense that the characters showed while in SAO just dies off so the movie lazily go forward. How about the flaw that no one would invest in a game that only sells 10,000 copies at the start. How about the flaw at the start where Kirito tells Klein it's just a game and not to be too involved only to finish that same thought with saying he only feels alive while playing SAO. How about the flaw in Ordinal Scale where he uses PvP battles to get food at the game and uses those in PvE situations, which anyone who knows anything about video games knows that doesn't work. How about the flaw that suggests that everyone in the first arc of season 2 would listen to one person and all do the same thing, which no one in any game has ever done. How about the flaw that no one else ever tried to use a sniper or sword for the extra challenge in that game despite the fact that many people would actually do that. How about the flaw when the guy who convinced everyone to allocate their stats exposes them for being weak and shows a better way to do, those players are suddenly worthless, like there's somehow a ton of other players who didn't listen to him even though the anime made it seem like everyone did. Like really, where did all of these players suddenly come from to change the entire way the game is played. How about the flaw where the main villain is exposed in the OP of that first arc. Should I keep going? SAO is just one major slip up after another, where basics of gaming are entirely dismissed and when it tries to incorporate real life into itself, it forgets about anything that laws would prevent or downgrades it's characters to make things suddenly work. It's fine if you like it because of the memories and all of that, but I'm talking to you about the books, because I have not, and will not read them, because if they are anything like the anime at all, they are not worth it to me, so any argument you make with those does not apply here. I'm sorry you lost a friend, truly, but your bias for this show because of that is not an excuse to try and make a bad show good. SAO is nothing more than a showing of what not do when making an anime adaptation.
  8. For me, this is one where I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the movie, both in terms of it's quality, and it's voice acting. One, because some of the actors can return, and two, because even if they don't, if any new actors can make me like their interpretation of the characters, I will be highly impressed. I will be greatly annoyed however if it really is a whole new cast and they just end up imitating the previous cast because that to me, would come off as lazy.
  9. When your seasons are cut up into two stories or more that are only half a season of length at best, you have short arcs. Apologizing in the books doesn't mean anything if you don't read the books, and it doesn't excuse doing things people obviously don't like regardless. No Harem makes sense when A, it takes away far too much time from making an actual story, B, it doesn't really get off the ground until the person who is the focus of the Harem is already in a relationship with someone they end up proposing to C, is used as an excuse for making so many characters one note and D, defines the place of every character whether or not they are in involved in the Harem. Asuna becomes the jealous type and does little else, characters like Lisbeth, the guild leaders in ALO and all the rest just like Kirito, mostly for no reason, and other characters like Klein and Agil, who were far too interesting to just fall to the way side, become something like the best friend who is goofy and does little to nothing, and pub/weapons owner who can move the plot along for about 5 minutes before doing nothing again. Knowing your audience is one thing, not giving anyone a bigger role if they don't move the fan service forward is another. If that's really true, and it's all about how people cope, then more of that should have been shown, not told, that's a basic bit of knowledge given out for free anywhere that will tell you how to write a story. Telling people something is just asking them to accept something off screen, which can prevent it from feeling real, showing it to them, makes it as real as it can be. As for coping, I don't see much of that. Kirito is drastically effected by death for an episode or two where he tries to do something that doesn't work, and before you know it, even though he won't join parties for a few more episodes, is doing just that with Lisbeth, the Loli character, and Asuna. When you are faced with the death of literally thousands of people whom you could end up like, it should mess with your mind from the offset and make you paranoid or afraid and prevent you from taking risks, yet Kirito keeps taking those risks throwing caution to the wind until he "reaches the point that being a solo player" no longer works for him, whatever that means. They never really have him explain that properly even though he says it more than once. He seems to recover from that experience in just a few episodes, and while they tell us it's been a while, again that just shows off the problem of telling instead of showing, because it doesn't feel like that at all. As for the second season being an analysis of guilt, I don't feel that at all. I don't remember that season all that well, which is a great indication of failure already because I remember the first season more, but basically what I think I can remember is, someone from SAO is pretending to kill people in real life with an in-game weapon, a move that's telegraphed from the start if you watch the anime because they give that away in the opening if you can even understand the basics of foreshadowing, and no the books do not count, because again, I didn't read them because I didn't hear about SAO until the anime came out and I was annoyed by the first season's anime, why would I bother. Then there's a few episodes of them doing a random side quest just for an excuse to run into Yuuki by the end of it, which is a lazy way to fill in a few pages of a book or an anime, and it all follow's Yuuki trying to make a name for herself before dying, which she does in Asuna's hands, which was a somewhat nice touch, because it gave Asuna something to for the first time since SAO but that in and of itself is a huge problem because I cannot suspend my disbelief so far as to accept that a human being was A, allowed to spend their last remaining moments playing a game when they are being highly monitored in a medical facility, and B, that said dying person would want to spend the last few minutes of their life with an online friend instead of the family who cared enough to try and do everything for them that they could. I'm sorry but no, no matter what impact someone made on you for the last few weeks or minutes of your life, that doesn't add up, which is exactly how I would describe SAO anyways, it doesn't add up.
  10. If you're not familiar with Monster Hunter Stories, seeing that title may seem a little confusing, but let me explain things. Monster Hunter Stories is a lot like Pokemon. In the game you can collect various monsters, most if not all that are famous monsters from other entries in the main series up to this point, but unlike Pokemon, doing so feels more rewarding. To get a new monster other than the 1 or 2 given to you by story progression, you have to find a Den. These den's consist of regular dens, rare monster dens, sub quest dens and at the post game, a special den is brought into the game to get even more monsters. While inside the the den, you will find several monsters and items, and at the end, a chance to pick an egg. Once you get the egg, you can take it back to a character called Felyne, who will allow you to hatch it, and if you like the monster you get, you can add it into your party. While the process might be more complicated, it's filled with more reward, because you get to pick what egg you get, and a monster isn't instantly added to your party if you have space, or put into another location if you don't. The extra time consumption for doing things this way is well worth it and it feels like you earned it more because you aren't just trying to damage a Pokemon to a certain point, and/or putting status effects on it trying to catch it, a formula that made sense over 20 years ago due to hardware limitations, but one that also got stale over all this time as well. What Monster Hunter also does better is battling. It takes the simple idea of Rock, Paper, Scissors, and make then Power Attacks, Technical Attacks and Speed Attacks. Each monster or fight with can do any variation of those attacks, and as they level up, and learn special moves that fall into one of those categories. Each monster will have one or two preferred ways of attacking save for some bosses which can use all three, and it becomes the players job to match whatever attack type they are most likely to use with the one that type is weak against. The types work like this, Power beats Technical, Technical beats Speed, and Speed Beats Power. To make combat even more interesting, if you attack the same monster several times with the right attack, you have a meter that will build up, allowing to ride on your monster ally to do more damage and release different levels of a combined super move, for a huge damage boost. What's more, if you attack the same monster your party AI controlled party member does, you'll hit them with an even harder attack that does more damage if you both select the right attack type, bringing in all kinds of ways to use strategy in combat. While there is definitely strategy combat in Pokemon when playing against other people, the fact that Monster Hunter Stories always has you on your feet in combat is highly enjoyable. The story of this Monster Hunter game, isn't really the best. You start out befriending a monster called a Rathalos despite not having a special item called a Kinship Stone, which is supposed to be required to befriend monsters. Sadly, your small village is attacked right after you return home by a Monster infected by a dark element called Blight. In the ensuing attack, one of your best friends loses his home and his mother. The loss has a deep effect on his personality and outlook on life and a year later when he and you become tamers of monsters called Riders, he instantly breaks rider code and leaves his village, in an attempt to destroy the Blight in his own way. You are the hero, an almost entirely silent protagonist that decides to follow the Rider code, minus leaving the village to fight the Blight and potentially save the world, putting you at odds with your friend. The story setup is typical, the ending is fairly typical, but the game is simply a blast to play. Monster Hunter Stories does something incredibly rare in that occasionally, very graphically impressive cutscenes play out that really drive some of the major plot points home with their amazing visuals. To get a taste of what that's like without spoiling anything, the Intro for the game is done in those amazing graphics as well. Beyond all that, the game is simply just fine, it's varied environments are vast and beautiful and traveling on them is a lot of fun. Monster Hunter Stories also takes another often used trope in Pokemon and does it better as well, by making it so certain monsters can do certain things, like climb up brush that has fallen off the side of a cliff edge, or Swim, or break rocks, or dig under certain parts of dens or parts of the open world to get to secret area's, or even fly. Unlike in previous Pokemon games up until the 3DS titles, none of these are ever required to beat the game, and mostly just lead to extra areas where items for side quests are or at best, items that increase stats might be. But again, these are totally optional, except of course for the flying because one of the monsters you get for Story progression, does that, and it's the best flying I've seen or felt in any game since Ni No Kuni back on PS3. Pokemon's flying, even in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, doesn't even come close. I can't say Monster Hunter Stories is perfect though, and in fact, it's post game, minus Sun and Moon's, might be the one thing it does that Pokemon does, that's not better here. Sure, extra side quests are added, and two new area's to explore become open to you, but it's not a perfect post game in any sense, and has no story unlike Pokemon, and the den's themselves, while they can be fun, are limited in their layout variety, which becomes all the more apparent in the post game when the new extra dens that have stronger monsters in them, don't have any new layouts to go with them. The story as I said before, is also every typical, but I still feel like it's done better than any Pokemon story as of late, even Sun and Moon, which may have the best story of the series, were not for the fact that it relied far too much on other overdone story stereotypes, and the fact that Monster Hunter has a game with a story at all is something to celebrate because that makes that much more worth it to play. It's not perfect, but it's fun combat, my desire to complete all the side quests, beat the extra tough monsters in different locations, and eventually try out the online component, make it well worth playing, and will probably also see me making this the third game on my 3DS to get over 100 hours of Play time. It may not be the best game ever, but it's my favorite on 3DS so far this year and possibly ever since Fantasy Life, so my final rating, is 4.7/5. If you have a 3DS, and like combat focused games in a revised turn-based situation, buy this game, it is completely worth it.
  11. Well people are free to have their own opinions but I've made my case for why SAO is just one huge flop full of bad writing and poor story choices one after another so I don't see any reason to treat it any differently now.
  12. To that I would say, Try Ninja Gaiden, it's an older series but it is for sure harder than any Dark Souls game, even more so since the series has lowered it's difficulty bit by bit from game to game in the hopes of getting more players, while Ninja Gaiden actually gets harder from game to game.
  13. Sadly that is not the case. Not enough was done to tell them no so the FCC has passed the notion of putting internet companies into title I and pans to implement it as soon as possible. That said, it won't last long because the government will break it down and reform it if it has to since clearly no one but internet providers and those they pay to support them want this. Of course that probably won't happen until administrations change in the next election, but it might happen as soon as the 2018 house and senate elections, because the chances of a shakeup there are pretty high, and if the message is sent that doing this sort of thing loses whoever does it their jobs, it'll probably kill the idea pretty quickly.
  14. I heard it was delayed last year to who knew when at the time but I don't remember it actually being confirmed at all since then. Some people thought it wasn't going to happen at all.
  15. Far as I know one season was basically split into 2 so this is technically 4, but honestly, I don't care enough to edit it.
  16. Are there any interesting anime for this season. I got so disappointed by summer I didn't even look yet.
  17. Someone please shoot me in the head right where the memory of this coming has set itself please. For what reason does this overdone anime need another season? Get ready for more Waifu BS and openings that give up the entire plot line and about 6 more horribly bad and lazy Bandai Namco games. Have fun!
  18. I'm not really into the whole Neko thing, but the rest of what's going on there, I'm all about.
  19. A short period of time. I had other things to do here or there and had to take breaks to do them. That said, whenever I had time, I was watching. All of free time went into the binge.
  20. Many times. I did it with Bleach, I did it with FMA after already watching it once, I've done it several times with Eureka Seven, and I did it with Hanasaku Iroha twice, in a row. I mean I literally finished the show and started it over and watched the movie after finishing the show both times.
  21. I mean, I have a hard time finding an anime I can't binge watch as long as it's good.
  22. Ah, hmm, okay. The answer to most of these questions vary, but you are smart to ask them, it's always good to have information regarding things you aren't quite sure about. Seasonal anime isn't really new, there have been anime that run for only a season or two at best for many years now, in fact I think they've been around as long as I've been watching anime at least. The best way to find seasonal anime is look at sites like MyAnimeList.com which will have them all listed along with a synopsis for the story, but there are also plenty of YouTube channels that will talk about them if you prefer. For that just look up whatever season and whatever year you're interested in, and there will several videos talking about what the most interesting upcoming anime are, or even ones people presume will be bad, and you can look and see which ones might interest you. Seasonal anime are not always one season, but they often are, and even if they aren't and there's a second season planned, they usually have the two, three, or however many seasons continue until the show is over. In some cases like Attack On Titan, several years may go by before another season is made, or in the case of season 2 to season 3, at least a year. It all depends, and the only way to know is to look up information about how the series you watch will play out as the information becomes available. I tend to watch on Crunchyroll these days. As far as I can tell, they are the most legitimate source for anime out there, and they are forward about their business model, and to top it off, they tend to get new episodes of an ongoing anime out there within an hour of it airing in Japan. Dubs are also kind of hard to get a feel for. In some rare cases, the dub is right behind the subbed version, but then there are cases like Naruto and Dragon Ball Super where it takes well over a year to catch up unless they air episodes in massive succession as often as possible, which rarely happens, if ever. As it is with the last bit I said about seasonal anime, the best you can do is look up news and see what dubs are coming at what time as that information becomes available. Hope all this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.
  23. I would put Ed at maybe 25 percent, he did convince Al to go through with the human transmutation of their mother after all. However, given how much he went through, nearly losing Al, losing his mother, the issue he has with this father and Al being so enamored with him, everything with Nina, when he found out Hughes died, I'd say his suffering is 100 for sure. Most of what happened and what he saw, was out of his control, even if his original actions led to him seeing or being a part of all that. There's no way he could have known all that would happen. Al's suffering should also be at least 75, not 60, and he deserves none of it. All he ever did was stay true to Ed and try to help people and he still had to deal with all that. Now if we're going for say Anemone, 70 seems a little bit low. With the exception of Dewey, as long as we're going with the anime, Anemone is treated either as an enemy or even just a thing that can pilot theEnd and nothing else. She's also pretty much forced to live in a cage outside of battle because she's so out of control and seems to only act out in the hopes that someone will see her differently. I'd but her suffering at a 90 and her deserving at a 0. She didn't do anything wrong unless she was forced to, and she was only violent because of the serum they kept injecting her with and how it changed her personality. I also can't agree with any list that says Trunks suffered as much as either of the two main characters from Grave of the Fireflies. He didn't even really know death and suffering enough to become a super sayian until Gohan died, so he clearly didn't feel just how serious the effects of the state of his world was until he hit his teens, and he got his revenge to help get some closure for it. I can't say Super really made it worse either, he stopped Majin Buu from being born, and although his world was ravaged a second time, the people he cared for most did just fine and lived. Grave of the fireflies, had no closure, and it might have even been worse than the film made it out to be if the theory of them being in a eternal hell is to be believed, and I think it is. In fact I think they should be right next to one another at 100 percent and 0 deserved. I gotta say as well, Spike drives me nuts. He lost the love of his life, his best friend turned on him, he abandoned his crew to try and keep them out of his issues so they wouldn't get killed, even though he was falling in love with Faye, which was obviously very hard to do, and he may or may not have had been killed by the friend who left him. I can't say he's entire innocent, but 50 suffering and 60 deserved is way off. I'd put him at 70 with a 30 deserved. He turned out to be a better person than anyone would have given him credit for before the last episode. So I guess, no, I don't agree with this list. There are a lot of other characters I could point out and give details as to why I disagree, such as Jojo, Kaneki, even Hercule seems a bit off since he saw his entire planet get blown up, even if it came back, for a while he thought everyone was dead and still wanted to help the one true friend he had left. He wasn't that bad a guy and he redeemed himself. No I think whoever did this list doesn't quite understand the weight of loss that some of these characters have gone through, if not all of them, and for that matter how much of it was their fault or how much they regretted the choices they made, which should count for something.
×
×
  • Create New...