Jump to content
The History Kid

Latest Acquisitions

Recommended Posts

Had to buy a new mouse because my old one broke. Got the Logitech MX master 2S for 50 Euros (bit less than 56 $) since I'm kind of limited to which mouse I can  buy. If its too small my wrists starts hurting fairly fast so I chose a mouse where my hand could rest one while using. Also I just realized that I got it fairly cheap - most online stores sell it for 75 - 80 $.

Anyway - there goes more money for the mechanical keyboard I wanted to save up for...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received two CDs I bought a few weeks ago, 'Oni' and 'Telltale Signs'.

Imported them from Japan, came with a free visual kei fashion magazine, so that's kind of neat.

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.08ae3261853eb630acf3caf2a0045c59.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This week saw a grab bag of stuff...

IMG_20190802_213530.thumb.jpg.105335cd79dd18206b740a6c07194801.jpg

A Dell dock for the backup computer (fingers crossed on that working)...then a GameCube Tales of Symphonia - been looking forever.  Earlier in the week, I picked up a Tales of the Abyss, without the original cover (left), the same day someone posted a signed copy of the game (signed by Guy and Luke/Asch's English VA's), so that got procured as well.  The dud copy will be the playable copy.

The reading material haul was good this week too:

Spoiler

 

IMG_20190802_214255.thumb.jpg.719f88e7ff61a97c3d2e8d111e44d437.jpg

IMG_20190802_214332.thumb.jpg.36183a22438fff93e77c34e449411eec.jpg

 

Edited by The History Kid
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to my collection:

Tiger ll (King Tiger) Model

20190809_155429.thumb.jpg.78be1dab60a7ca103a3ecf1d7e88aa1c.jpg

 

Babymetal CD's

20190809_155514.thumb.jpg.888e1c7d385ff9b07420e6c7800c5f63.jpg

 

And first vol. of Haruhi Suzumiya and NGNL Practical War Game

20190809_155548.thumb.jpg.9b9e2ebb66c258fbbd4638b97ad16b57.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased:

- 20 feet of 10 gauge aluminium wire

- masking tape

- small wooden sticks

- wire cutters

- a few bolts of cloth

Now, from that list, can anyone guess as to what I did with all of it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not with the A-Team...so, I assume you are making tacos.

Latest addition to the party: a steal. $400 for these babies.

IMG_20190809_195613.thumb.jpg.63c2ea64f0d57f41dbfc15e084455b72.jpgIMG_20190809_201327.thumb.jpg.5e44be61a6082f0b0b0eb6606ed3c626.jpgIMG_20190809_202427.thumb.jpg.c3aa2fb7c6b894b7770cd4c0b21cb728.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang, that looks like a fantastic set.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Humbby said:

Babymetal CD's

Neat. I have their first album as well, but want to pick up the second one sometime. And their third, when it comes out soon...

---

Got some new CDs
The Ocean Collective: Pelagial and instrumental version of Phanerozoic I
Dream Theater CD: Images And Words and Metropolis Pt. II
Southern Empire: Civilisation

Also got a new cabinet for them.

IMG_1440.thumb.JPG.a92f47726745b3899efdbbd8fa01bdc6.JPGIMG_1444.thumb.JPG.e6fd24620a8931fe42fffc60267182f3.JPG

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I needed a 2nd monitor Really badly, My main monitor Is an Acer so i decided to get another Acer, It was On sale (10% not much) so I decided Its time to get 1.
It didnt need to be another 27 inch, 24 was fine (saves me another 50$) and I'm happy about It. I got the AcerKG241.                   119$

20190823_213031.thumb.jpg.240914fbc06b37b99b320feddfb17e3b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently acquired two different anime series (Say "I Love You" and Haibane Renmei) along with a new manga (Black Bird).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I give you all, the second best 4K Bluray Player on the market.  The Oppo UDP-203:

 

Spoiler

IMG_20191023_204420.thumb.jpg.b4fed20c84b7c5cfd133109c85db07f7.jpg

 

Spoiler

IMG_20191023_204444.thumb.jpg.b2b045535f79efea27b0e3dcb143ab92.jpg

Is purdy.  I need to not take photos in this room at night though, the lighting sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Bluray Player

A disc player??  How... retro.  :D 

I can say things like that since I still have an old VHS tape player. 😮  Though these days I mostly rip all my discs to the hard drive as soon as I get them, then put the disc(s) on the shelf, basically un-played.  (Plex and Synology FTW!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

A disc player??  How... retro.  :D 

I can say things like that since I still have an old VHS tape player. 😮  Though these days I mostly rip all my discs to the hard drive as soon as I get them, then put the disc(s) on the shelf, basically un-played.  (Plex and Synology FTW!)

Bandwidth and computer hardware still hasn't caught up yet in physical quality...the DAC's and formatting boards in disc players are still way beyond anything computer hardware is capable of right now, and bandwidth on high speed lines is just not ready for full 4K passthru in all areas yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Bandwidth and computer hardware still hasn't caught up yet in physical quality...the DAC's and formatting boards in disc players are still way beyond anything computer hardware is capable of right now, and bandwidth on high speed lines is just not ready for full 4K passthru in all areas yet.

All true, but I'm old enough that I can't even SEE in 4k, so until & unless somebody comes up with bionic eyes all that's wasted on me.  Regular 1920x1080p HD is about my limit.  They gave me 96dpi widescreens at work last time they updated my workstation & I had to increase the font size because I couldn't read anything anymore.  Kind of a good news, bad news thing goin' on there.  🤨

Anyway, for me the convenience of files trumps the quality of discs/players.  I'll probably never upgrade to 4k or whatever they're calling the SCFE UHD resolution(s) beyond that.  I literally can't see the benefits, and like you say the file sizes and bandwidth requirements are huge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

All true, but I'm old enough that I can't even SEE in 4k, so until & unless somebody comes up with bionic eyes all that's wasted on me.  Regular 1920x1080p HD is about my limit.  They gave me 96dpi widescreens at work last time they updated my workstation & I had to increase the font size because I couldn't read anything anymore.  Kind of a good news, bad news thing goin' on there.  🤨

Anyway, for me the convenience of files trumps the quality of discs/players.  I'll probably never upgrade to 4k or whatever they're calling the SCFE UHD resolution(s) beyond that.  I literally can't see the benefits, and like you say the file sizes and bandwidth requirements are huge.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I didn't really buy it for the 4K - I just wanted the Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro 3D support.  I can't tell the difference between 4K and FHD either.  In most applications, I don't believe there really is much of a difference - most changes with the quality have more to do with other parts of the hardware unless you're sitting on the screen.

But I digress.  I use an Auro 3D audio configuration, so the upgrade was worth it for that purpose.  I couldn't really care less about the 4K part of it.  There's other video improvements, Darbee is nice, jitter reduction, auto-syncing, color depth, etc.  But I made the purchase for the hearing not the watching. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

I just wanted the Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro 3D support

I can see that, er.. you know what I mean.  :D 

Actually, if we're talking special formats I guess I am kind of interested in some of the 4K+ work being done with 360-degree streaming formats.  That + a good VR rig could be awesome.  Even 4k might not be enough for HD-quality, 360-degree FOV.  You want to talk huge bandwidth requirements though...  🙀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently bought new earphones.....they are my 4th pair of earphones in this year, and all of the 4 were quality branded...I keep breaking them :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hoffin2 said:

I recently bought new earphones.....they are my 4th pair of earphones in this year, and all of the 4 were quality branded...I keep breaking them :(

I use cheap ones when I'm outside my home since that's time where they're most likely to break and some high quality ones at home where I'm more careful. In the long run, I think that's the cheapest method.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 9:00 AM, Hoffin2 said:

I recently bought new earphones.....they are my 4th pair of earphones in this year, and all of the 4 were quality branded...I keep breaking them :(

What brand are you using?

A few brands have rugged versions, but in general - earphones are earphones. 32 AUG wire is flimsy no matter how you cut it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The History Kid said:

What brand are you using?

A few brands have rugged versions, but in general - earphones are earphones. 32 AUG wire is flimsy no matter how you cut it.

Currently I'm using 'Boat' 

19 hours ago, leinwandname said:

I use cheap ones when I'm outside my home since that's time where they're most likely to break and some high quality ones at home where I'm more careful. In the long run, I think that's the cheapest method.

Yeah, I started doing the same for a while, but having two earphones makes me uncomfortable....idk why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hoffin2 said:

Currently I'm using 'Boat' 

Those are generally rebranded B-stock out of China. Look for tried and true brands forward, Sennheiser and Klipsch both have reasonably priced ear phones and are some of the best brands on the consumer market. They also have rugged lines.  Denon made some once upon a time too, but I don't recall if they were any more or less durable. Stay away from punchline brands like Sony, Boss and Skullcandy, you're paying entirely for the name and not at all for the SQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New steam sanitiser to complete my setup. No bacteria is safe from me. tenor.gif.a5f63bfb87e0e0bf492dee99c8293a3a.gif

 

B612_20191028_152257_049.thumb.jpg.a4f467fcf237d0ea312b3b1a36f3cf38.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/28/2019 at 8:21 PM, The History Kid said:

Those are generally rebranded B-stock out of China. Look for tried and true brands forward, Sennheiser and Klipsch both have reasonably priced ear phones and are some of the best brands on the consumer market. They also have rugged lines.  Denon made some once upon a time too, but I don't recall if they were any more or less durable. Stay away from punchline brands like Sony, Boss and Skullcandy, you're paying entirely for the name and not at all for the SQ.

I totally get your point..

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit
×
×
  • Create New...