What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I've been rewatching Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai. It's quite a strange series, although intriguing might be a better word for it. The artwork and animation are of good quality and has a good cast of characters. The storyline is well written, but you need to stay alert as this is a series where you have to pay attention to the story. It could be called a Slice of Life show, but few people will have a life like this, it's more of a drama and romance series with a generous helping of supernatural happenings as the main characters encounter a series of strange events in their lives and work through them to find the resolutions.
Overall this is an enjoyable series, but nowhere near as light-hearted as the title might suggest, indeed the story gets more serious as the series proceeds.

Finished season 2 of Tokyo Revengers (Christmas Showdown) & have mixed feelings. The fight with  Taiju & Black Dragon dragged on way too long, wasn’t actually interesting & pushed the limits of credibility for a series where characters aren’t supposed to have super powers (except for the time travel trope). But the final 4 eps dealing with the aftermath & setting up the next arc were actually decent, so will probably give the new season a chance when it starts in a couple weeks.

Will finish The Duke of Death & his Maid season 2 and the 1st half of Mushoku Tensei 2 tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

he fight with  Taiju & Black Dragon dragged on way too long,

While I haven't seen this series your comment points out one of my biggest complaints about final battles with the chief bad guy. Yes I know he's the Chief Bad Guy and he's going to be hard to beat, him laughing off the first couple of attacks against him is OK, but for it to happen over and over again and stretches the battle out over almost the whole episode I find it very tedious and strains the credibility of the story and I begin to wonder if the final battle is just filler to stretch out the series run time.

I've been rewatching Super Cub. Which is an excellent little Slice of Life series about an orphaned high school girl who finds friendship and adventure after she buys a second-hand Honda Super Cub. This is a quiet and highly enjoyable story that exudes the same vibes as Yuru Camp, but is a totally different story.
The artwork and animation are beautiful and the background music really fits the scenes. The storyline is quite simple, but very well told. Altogether this is a great series to watch after a hard and stressful day at school or work.

Just finished watching the first series of Bang Dream. It's a Slice of Life series about a group of High school girls who decide to form a band..., er, well, no, that's not quite right. It's about an enthusiastic high school girl who decides she wants to form a band and pressurises her friends to join her, yep, she's one of those people who won't take 'no' for an answer and everyone has to go along with her. One day she visits a Live House and is determined to play with her band on that stage, the fact that while she does have a guitar she doesn't know how to play it properly is of no consequence.
The artwork and animation quality are quite decent the storyline is also quite good but I found it a bit slow and a bit difficult to follow in a few places. I did however find it a nice change for there to be a decent length interval of several episodes between the "let's form a band" and "we're playing at our first concert" stages. One thing I was disappointed with was that the band's songs were not subtitled, which was a pity because they sounded like they were good songs and I would have liked to know the lyrics.
Overall I quite enjoyed watching the series and looking forward to watching series 2.

I've now finished series 2 of Bang Dream. The story of the five high school girls and their band continues, but with a slight difference. In this series several other high school girl bands are featured. At first I thought this would be a bad thing as it would detract from the main group, but in fact the interaction between the various bands made the story rather more interesting and challenges the members of the band in both their musical ability and loyalty.
One thing I was pleased about is that unlike the first series the songs the various bands play are subtitled, which is nice because a lot of the lyrics are rather good.
The artwork and animation quality remains high, although one thing about the characters does rather stand out, their eyes, we all know that one of the common features of anime characters is their large eyes but the characters in Bang Dream have eyes that are positively luminous and shine like car headlights.
Overall I'm still enjoying watching this series.

Today I finished series 3 of Bang Dream. For this series they shake the storyline up by having most of the various bands compete in the same competition, this is actually quite a good change because it allows each band to have a decent amount of screen time and give us the opportunity to learn more about the members of the other bands.  One of the good things about this series is that while the various bands are in competition with each other there is a good deal of friendship shared between the members the bands and they meet each other socially and take part in joint activities.

The artwork and animation quality remains high, the one thing I was disappointed with was the fact that the song subtitles were not consistent, some songs were subtitled others were not. I would have liked to know the lyrics of the final four songs.  But that niggle apart I enjoyed watching the series.

• Like 1

I watched the Bang Dream Live Movie today, it made a nice ending to the three series. There isn't really a story to the movie, it's an outdoor concert where five of the bands from the series give live performances and each band performs three songs, which thankfully are subtitled. While I wouldn't say any of the songs were particularly memorable they're all quite nice songs and some have really good lyrics.

Bang Dream is a massive multi-media franchise covering anime, manga, visual novels, video games and CDs

Overall I found the series engaging and enjoyable to watch and rather different to the usual "high school girls get together and form a band" series, yes, it starts like that but the other bands soon enter the story and it becomes much more about the progress of each band and their interactions with each other. None of the bands are high school club bands they're all independent of the school, I suspect that the school element is only there as a link between the bands as several of the members of each band attend the same school.
This is certainly a series I would be happy to watch a second time at some point.

• Like 1

on Friday

I Watched

Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King / Black Clover: Mahou Tei no Ken

and Castlevania: Nocturne

on Saturday  night / Sunday morning

October 8th (Sunday)

I Watch Toonami

12:00a FLCL Shoegaze: Gene-Bato (Generational Battle)*

12:30a One Piece: The Fateful Reunion! Bellamy the Hyena!*

1:00a One Piece: A Super Rookie! Bartolomeo the Cannibal!*

1:30a Naruto Shippuden: She of the Beginning*

2:00a Naruto Shippuden: Kaguya Otsutsuki*

2:30a My Hero Academia: Hired Gun

Because I enjoy variety. While I certainly have my preferences, just watching certain genres is too restrictive for me. And I actually find it very fulfilling when a series I had little expectations for manages to surprise me. As to why for this series in particular, while certainly not an “A” list title, I do have an interest in myth/legend/folklore/fairytale themes. Considering it’s getting a 3rd season, apparently I’m not alone in finding it at least somewhat enjoyable (though I do hope they decide to wrap things up this time around, as I could see losing interest if things drag out too long).

I generally prefer romcoms over romantic drama’s, but the Fruits Basket remake proved that there are exceptions.

This evening I finished watching The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses. While I wouldn't say that this was a bad series I don't think it was a particularly good one either, the artwork and animation were excellent, but the storyline was quite a disappointment. The titular girl who forgot her glasses was an interesting character, but the guy who liked her was completely spineless and wishy-washy. His freaking out every time she looked at him or got really close was amusing for the first couple of episodes, but became tedious and tiring after that. I also felt that there was way way too much internal dialogue which after the first few episodes became tiresome and dragged the pace of the already slow paced storyline down.
Overall, as I said before, this wasn't a bad series but neither was it a good one and as far as I was concerned it didn't meet the expectations I had from the trailer.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:24 AM, Ohayotaku said:

Because I enjoy variety. While I certainly have my preferences, just watching certain genres is too restrictive for me. And I actually find it very fulfilling when a series I had little expectations for manages to surprise me. As to why for this series in particular, while certainly not an “A” list title, I do have an interest in myth/legend/folklore/fairytale themes. Considering it’s getting a 3rd season, apparently I’m not alone in finding it at least somewhat enjoyable (though I do hope they decide to wrap things up this time around, as I could see losing interest if things drag out too long).

I generally prefer romcoms over romantic drama’s, but the Fruits Basket remake proved that there are exceptions.

I was a bit harsh in my one sentence question , i see now haha. i didnt mean it like that. Just wondering since you and i like a lot of the same animes, So i was curious since i personally rather watch grass grow than anime rom com

ps: i have watched everything on my 'to watch list' . So if you have a new recommendation of something great you watched, please let me know

On 10/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, Nicholas D. Wolfwood said:

Castlevania: Nocturne

any good? same as the original?

On 10/1/2023 at 5:21 AM, Key Visual said:

Ragna Crimson

ohh i like the storyline. will watch also when there are more eps

Started rewatching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood with the anime club I helped restart last year. Very good watch, we got through to the Scar fight where Winry points a gun at him. Very good anime, but it definitely has more of a "this came out over a decade ago" feel than when I last watched it. (Probably because it is.) Highly recommended for anyone who hasn't read the manga, I suggest watching the '03 series first though. It's a better watch order (in my opinion) because of the nature of each version. 

• Like 1

Today I finished re-watching Sing "Yesterday" For Me. This is an interesting little Slice of Life series about a group of four friends who try to continue their relationships with each other in the present while still trying to live partly in the past. This leads to an interestingly confusing overlapping double love triangle. The whole mess is resolved, far too quickly in my opinion, in the final episode.
The artwork and animation is of a decent quality and the storyline is believable even if some of the coincidences are a little forced, but hey this is anime and unlikely coincidences happen. What the series does show is that it is possible to have a story that progresses slowly without it becoming boring.
Overall, I found this an interesting series and would happily watch it again at some point.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2013 at 5:59 AM, Optic said:

So what anime are you watching at the moment?

For me it's Psycho-Pass. I'm loving it so much! It's a Sci-Fi detective thriller but It's quite deep, alongside the depth and action of Ghost in the Shell. And Shakespeare, lots of references to English literature!

How about you? ^_^

Recently watch Hell Paradise that Cool and back to Watching One Piece. 

I've now finished re-watching After School Dice Club. This is a gentle little Slice of Life series about a group of first year high school girls. The story follows a lonely, shy introvert whose life is totally changed by a rather dramatic meeting with an enthusiastic extrovert and as a result our shy introvert discovers friendship and a love of board games. While that might sound like this is a boring series it actually isn't. The storyline moves between the everyday lives of the girls and the board games sessions, both of which are well presented. The artwork and animation is of a good quality and the story moves along at a good pace and neither drags or rushes.
At heart this is a fairly simple, wholesome story about discovering the fun to be had sharing a common interest with friends and companions and as such I found it an enjoyable series to watch.

• Like 1

Today I finished re-watching, again, one of my favourite series; ef-A Tale of Memories, this is an excellent Slice of Life series, or perhaps more correctly a Slice of Lives series as it follows the lives of three couples, their stories are both separate and interconnected at the same time. While in some places the scenes are a bit dialogue heavy the dialogue is well written and has both a subtle humour and more serious side to it.
What really makes this series stand out is its beautiful soundtrack and stunningly creative artwork and dramatic backgrounds, the range of colour palettes used is quite different to most series.
I find it a very enjoyable series to watch, but at the same time there is a lot to think about at the end.

• Like 3

Today I finished my re-watch of ef-A Tale of Melodies. This is a follow-on, or second series, of ef-A Tale of Memories and and focuses on the lives of some of the supporting cast of Memories, the main cast make sort of cameo appearances also. In a way this is a much more complex series because the storyline moves between the past and present events. Like Memories it has a beautiful soundtrack and the visual style is very artistic and even surreal in places and while some may not like this type of approach I found that as a way of telling the story it works very well. Melodies addresses some much more serious, and disturbing, issues than Memories, which gains the DVD release a higher age rating.
While the series does end on a positive note it is not without a couple of sad scenes. The closing credits of episode 10 are so simple and yet so distressingly sad.

Overall, ef-A Tale of Memories and ef-A Tale of Melodies are an excellent series and will leave you with much to think about after the final credits roll.