Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

EnviousEnvy

This past weekend’s episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me

Stuff I liked

Kyo’s reactions to things, though that’s pretty much true every week. Favorites being the ping pong match with Yuki (such as it was) and struggling to control his temper when he finds out the gifts Tohru bought for them caused her financial difficulties. I also liked when Yuki felt the need to step outside before cracking up (one of his better moments so far). And the addition of Momiji and cow guy as classmates when school resumes certainly does promise to make things more interesting.  

Stuff I didn’t

Not really correct to say I disliked it, but Momiji’s story made me uneasy. Although it had an immediate relevance to Tohru’s altruistic nature, taken with Shigure’s comments the other week I also get a sense of foreshadowing. The proprietoress was a bit over the top for my tastes (can’t wait to meet her son since he seems to be the source of a lot of her melodrama). Finally the revelation that Momiji is only a year younger made his comments about bathing and sleeping with Tohru feel a bit ecchi 

😓

Currently my #4 series for the season

Edited by Ohiotaku

• 2 weeks later...

I found it hilarious that Hatsu actually went to the bathroom to "prove" his white and black hair was natural. Then Tohru asked just what he did. Poor girl is so innocent to the world around her. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

42 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I found it hilarious that Hatsu actually went to the bathroom to "prove" his white and black hair was natural. Then Tohru asked just what he did. Poor girl is so innocent to the world around her. 😂😂😂

Yesss! This is my favorite scene in the whole anime 🤣🤣🤣

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Seshi said:

Yesss! This is my favorite scene in the whole anime 🤣🤣🤣

Omg I'm starting to become more and more partial to Hatsu. Maybe even more so than Shigure. 🤔

Well it certainly didn’t take long for Hatsu & Momiji to make an impression on the school now did it? :lol:

On the serious side of things

As terrified as Yuki is of Akito, he still confronts her when he thinks she might do something to Tohru. And the look Kyo gives her is full of nothing but hate

Not sure if “shameful” or “shameless” is the vest word to describe Yuki’s brother as he comes across as being even more of a handful than Haru :lol: I pity the poor teachers who had him & Shigure as students together. Funny that Hatori was/is assigned to keep him out of trouble.

Edited by Ohiotaku

Omg episode hit me in the feels. I feel so bad that Momoji had to go through with having a psychotic and horrible mom. I don't care how anyone looks at it; I will never understand how a parent can disown their child just because that child is a little different. When Momoji explained to Tohru that he had to make the choice to let his mom go or not have her get better made me cry. Poor Momoji. I can see why he clings so hard to Tohru. Even though she's a high schooler, she's like a parent in a way to him. Always doting on him and so caring. I bet if she was older she would of gladly taken him in. Either way, Momoji is so strong.

• Like 1

Seemed like there was a lot more going on  this week than previous episodes.

In regards to Momiji, I wonder if his dad told his mother about the Sohma curse, since having that strong a reaction would seem to indicate she had no clue it was even a possibility. Just goes to show the real curse isn’t the animal transformations, but how dysfunctional the family is.

Always makes me smile how protective Uo & Hana are of Tohru.

In regards to Kyo

I initially chalked up his hesitancy to just being uncomfortable about confronting death, probably because of losing someone important himself. But the ending scene which starts out feeling like it will be a romantic moment, but turns into something else entirely as it suggests he somehow feels responsible for the death of Tohru’s mom. Quite the bombshell.

Finally, new cour means new OP/ED. While neither are as epic as the previous ones, both are cute. Especially the OP which seems more upbeat & optimistic.

Edited by Ohiotaku

I honestly forgot all about Uotani having a rebel side, oops. As much as I feel bad for Kyo I also have a soft spot for Uotani. So glad they found Tohru in their lives. Even though she has been through hell as well, Tohru still brings light to others and shows them that life isn't all bad. You just have to look on the brighter side.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

This series just keeps getting better & better (actually going to bump it up a point on MAL after watching this week’s ep). Very powerfully written dealing with the kind if life Uo was living prior to meeting Tohru. We normally see Uo & Hana acting as Tohru’s support network, but we were given some insight as to how Tohru has also acted as a lifeline and why she’s so precious to them.

In addition to all the well written drama, we also get some enjoyable not ecchi fanservice with the girls in swimsuits. And some very funny moments. It comes naturally for Shigure & Kyo, but also liked the trio of delinquent wannabes. Especially

the after credit scene of them getting freaked out by Momiji (don’t know exactly what he said, but apparently something about liking hamburgers)

Looks like next week will be a continuation

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:22 AM, Wedgy said:

This episode was just beautiful all around. As @EnviousEnvy expressed above, Momiji saw some huge relationship building with Tohru and really solidified why he so willingly regards her as a safe confidant, and I just love that. It was interesting how his perspective about trying to forget painful or traumatic events was contrasted pretty blatantly with Uo and Hanajima's commentary on the same subject.

Aaand because I've grown to adore comparing where this version of the anime excels from the old one, I need to talk about Kyo. 

Hide contents

The breadcrumbs being left here and there about Kyo's relationship to Kyoko are so hard to ignore. They were skipped over entirely the first time around, either because the anime didn't plan on running for that long, or because it was just such a late game element in the manga that it was outpaced. Whatever the reason, it just fills me with fangirly glee because as it happens, this is a core layer to Kyo's character and he just isn't right without it there.

This is the first time we've really been introduced to it in the anime thus far, between his seemingly reluctant desire to accompany Tohru to see her mother, his quiet reverie, and most obviously Hanajima literally calling him out on it.

Even if you're a first time fan, you have a signal here that there is a lot more going on with Kyo than he initially lets on, and I hope the anime keeps up this theme of slowly teasing tidbits of the Sohmas and their individual secrets.

Just made it to ep 14 today, and I was wondering what was the “I’m sorry” for at the end. Thanks for that commentary, I was so lost. That really is amazing insight, I’m so excited to learn more!

Oh! And gorgeous Ayame 😍

Ep 15 😆 Jason!!! 🐻

Edited by Seshi

2 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Hopefully said commentary didn't spoil too much, but I promise you it gets really good. Kyo is going to really shock and surprise you. :D

Nah, I’m this case I was craving the answers so bad I probably would have went to the manga if you didn’t have it written here already 

Even if the focus wasn’t on central characters, these were still the most powerfully written episodes to date.

It’s nice to see that Uo turning her life around had also helped her dad. Just goes to show that when you touch a life, there’s no telling how far it will spread

Kinda surprising how with all the new series out there (some of which I do find enjoyable), a show from last season which is a remake is leaving them in the dust.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Probably my favorite (or at least one of my favorites) episode in the series. I feel incredibly bad for Kisa. Bullying is an all too real thing in this world so I feel kind of partial to Kisa. 

And the way Tohru acts with Momiji and Kisa makes me think she should be a foster mom or even just adopt all the young Zodiac children who's parent(s) have rejected them. I could honestly see her doing that. 

Pretty sure that was the hot springs caretaker from episode 11 yelling “GOMENNASAI !!!” at the end of the episode so looks like next week we’ll finally meet the monkey 🐒 

I actually have some deeper comments to make on this episode, but I need to collect & settle my thoughts first. Hopefully I’ll come up with something that isn’t just rambling. Really speaks to the  emotional impact of this series though.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:31 PM, EnviousEnvy said:

So what are your thoughts on the latest episode(s) of this series??

WARNING: Contains a crap ton of spoilers. Read at your own discretion.

OMG! I don't what everybody else think but I like the new version very much! I love when  a girl is all cute and the boys are def hiding feelings.. of course, the plot is common but it's cool that it has a twist ( won't add on more spoilers). I recommend watching it and I'm looking forward to the ep19 😋

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I’d watched the original series a long time ago, but remember very little of it. Not sure if it was because it wasn’t very good adaption or if I just wasn’t ready for it at the point in my life. Loving the new version though and glad it will apparently cover the whole story. Looks like there will be a break after September, but hopefully season 2 won’t be too long in coming.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

I’d watched the original series a long time ago, but remember very little of it. Not sure if it was because it wasn’t very good adaption or if I just wasn’t ready for it at the point in my life. Loving the new version though and glad it will apparently cover the whole story. Looks like there will be a break after September, but hopefully season 2 won’t be too long in coming.

OH, I hate it so much when they take so much time for the next season to be released, awful teasing I could say :( The same is with Kamisama Kiss, everyone is waiting for a season 3 but it is not still there..

3 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Better not take forever, lol. I hate long breaks and it seems like anime is very good at making people wait, ugh.