Most Recent Movie Watched?

Kohloo

Last night I watched "Girl in the Basement", I originally just put it on to have something to half-watch in the background but ended up getting really interested in it. 

Braven, just a few minutes ago. It was an intense movie. The dad died though, so that's always sad. It was the guy that was the antagonist in the first Avatar movie. The military guy that was in charge that wanted Sam Worthington's character to spy for him. Good movie, but that was a sad part.

• 2 weeks later...

Prey for the Devil was the last movie mom and I watched. Those types aren't dad's thing, but it's definitely up our alley. Interesting movie. Good story to it, a female exorcist. A first in 7 centuries. The first was a saint, so I guess it's been done before, which I didn't actually know until the end of the movie. I highly suggest it to anyone that likes to see movies with possessed people in it. ^^

Attempted to watch the 2022 version of Death on the Nile, but only made it half way through. I suppose I’m just too used to the old BBC version of Poirot. Casts serious doubts on whether I ‘ll give a Haunting in Venice a try as I had planned.

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

Attempted to watch the 2022 version of Death on the Nile, but only made it half way through. I suppose I’m just too used to the old BBC version of Poirot. Casts serious doubts on whether I ‘ll give a Haunting in Venice a try as I had planned.

It's funny how we get used to seeing one particular actor or actress playing a certain character. For me Joan Hickson and David Suchet were the best as Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot I just could not relate to any of the others who played them.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, Ohayotaku said:

Went ahead and took a chance on A Haunting in Venice & found it reasonably enjoyable. Less grandiose than the previous recent Poirot remakes, so had more of the same vibe as the old PBS Mystery series I have fond memories of. A nice lowkey early start to the Halloween season.

Edited by Ohayotaku

• 3 weeks later...

Joy Ride

It's about a group of Asian women trying to help their friend find her birth mother in China (the friend was adopted as a baby and brought to the US). It's a pretty funny comedy.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched Planes, Trains & Automobiles at my sister’s after Thanksgiving dinner. Saw the Hunger Games prequel at the cinema last weekend & The Marvels the weekend before that.

Edited by Ohayotaku

Mom and I decided to tackle The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The last movie we saw was The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. Mom and I plan on watching The Two Towers in a while, too. Since the movies are so long though we won't be able to follow up with The Return of the King. Too bad The Hobbit movies aren't going to air on network TV anytime soon. That'd be a great complement to the experience. ^^

On 12/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, Wild Emotion said:

Mom and I decided to tackle The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Several years ago a friend and I decided to watch the extended DVD versions of all three films in one day. We watched The Fellowship of the Ring, then had lunch. After lunch we watched  The Two Towers followed by tea. After that we watched The Return of the King.  It's a great way to appreciate the story, but not one I'd repeat in a hurry.

As someone who has read The Lord of the Rings many, many times the films follow the story in the books really closely, but there are a few stupid changes and additions that really, really annoy me.  But, having said that they are excellent films and I'm sure you'll both enjoy watching them

On 12/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, Wild Emotion said:

The Hobbit movies aren't going to air on network TV anytime soon

In my opinion, you're not missing much. The Hobbit is over long. They spanned LotR over three movies, then spread The Hobbit, which isn't even half the length of Fellowship over another three movies*. They also made some additions that are not in the original in, in my view an unnecessary, attempt to fit in with the LotR movies**.  I've watched The Hobbit movies once and have no desire to watch them again.

* Some cynical people, including me, thought this was a way to con more money out of LotR fans.

** In reality it was the other way round, parts of The Hobbit were rewritten to fit in with LotR.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 5:24 PM, Animedragon said:

Several years ago a friend and I decided to watch the extended DVD versions of all three films in one day. We watched The Fellowship of the Ring, then had lunch. After lunch we watched  The Two Towers followed by tea. After that we watched The Return of the King.  It's a great way to appreciate the story, but not one I'd repeat in a hurry.

As someone who has read The Lord of the Rings many, many times the films follow the story in the books really closely, but there are a few stupid changes and additions that really, really annoy me.  But, having said that they are excellent films and I'm sure you'll both enjoy watching them

In my opinion, you're not missing much. The Hobbit is over long. They spanned LotR over three movies, then spread The Hobbit, which isn't even half the length of Fellowship over another three movies*. They also made some additions that are not in the original in, in my view an unnecessary, attempt to fit in with the LotR movies**.  I've watched The Hobbit movies once and have no desire to watch them again.

* Some cynical people, including me, thought this was a way to con more money out of LotR fans.

** In reality it was the other way round, parts of The Hobbit were rewritten to fit in with LotR.

Sorry, I must've forgotten to actually reply. >< I don't really like when people compare books to movies because there's always going to be ones that prefer the original story since sometimes film directors can take the story of a movie(or movies) in their own direction when it was originally written in a book. I just enjoy the story of the movies because I'll never sit down and read books like I used to. Nowadays I'm more keen on playing games than diving into books like I did when I was little. For some people it's the opposite situation as they get older and they read more in their mature years than they did when they were younger, but I just know that, for me, I'm not going to take the time to read books when I can just watch movie adaptations to get some idea of the story that the books has, even if there's some discrepancies that I'm never going to know about. I can only speak for myself though. I like The Lord of the Rings movies and everything in them with no complaints, and the same applies to The Hobbit movies as far as I'm concerned. That's my preference anyway, but I know not everyone agrees. That's perfectly ok too though. Everyone's different.

• Like 1