What anime are you watching now?

Optic

I finished watching 16bit sensation another layer this evening. It's certainly an interesting plot idea and watching our heroine suffer from culture shock when she found out that she had to do colouring with a mouse was quite amusing. The story was made all the more interesting by not being a simple story, but that I feel was also the series undoing as it introduced too many complexities in the last few episodes. I also thought that the ending was rather rushed and left the outcome of one of the plot points unexplained.
Overall I enjoyed watching it, but I think a tighter rein should have been applied to the storyline towards the end.

I started watching Peacemaker Kurogane, it's another anime I've watched before but not since like 2009 or something like that lol I bought the box set for it and decided to rewatch it 💜

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I've now finished watching MF Ghost. A motorsport series with lots of street racing action, there's a story in there somewhere, but the racing occupies most of the run time of each episode. The final episode ends on a cliffhanger, followed by a notice that the story will continue in series 2 in 2024.

Oh, yes, the fan-service. The MFG Angels, grid girls, wear rather skimpy outfits, and I do wonder just how many close-up shots of their backsides we really need.

I've just finished watching Shy, from the trailers I wasn't expecting much but thought I'd give it a try anyway and found that the trailers do the series no favours, it has quite a decent story and I found it an enjoyable series to watch.

I'm considering watching 86 again. Hopefully they'll announce if it's going to get a second season in the coming months. So far, nothing I've looked up on it yet is official. Fingers crossed. 🤞

I might also fire up Suzume this weekend when I'm off work.

I finished up the Funato Clan arc in Boruto. The storytelling was a top five performance of the franchise for a side arc. The lack of good fights holds this arc back overall though with the fights having weight, but not getting a chance to allow characters to show their full capabilities or develop. Plus the end had no fighting at all which was the point, but is frustrating since a lot of the characters involved will not be seen again.

But I was able to get back to Anyamaru Tantei Kiruminzuu and the story is progressing well. I am over 20 episodes in and the progression of the Kirumin is finally being explained. Nagisa is still stealing the show for me and she seems to be closing in on the secret of Pars. The twins continue to be the main ones to move the development of the Kirumin forward though. I just wonder if Tamao will ever get a transformation of his own. Time will tell.

10 hours ago, ARA said:

Have any one watch the quintessential quintuplets anime

Both seasons & the movie. Personally consider it overhyped, though I’m not really a fan of most harems anyway.

I’m currently bingeing 2nd part of Dead Mount Death Play. Just finished episode 4 (16 overall). Misaki just keeps becoming more of a freak 😅

spacer.png

Edited by Ohayotaku

I started watching Inuyasha from the top. It finally dawned on me that when this show was on Adult Swim two decades ago, I only saw one episode here or there, and often not in chronological order. So, I'm now remedying that two-decade-old problem, while refreshing my memory on the overall story and filling in the blanks from where I left off at places.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

14 hours ago, viruxx said:

I started watching Inuyasha from the top. It finally dawned on me that when this show was on Adult Swim two decades ago, I only saw one episode here or there, and often not in chronological order. So, I'm now remedying that two-decade-old problem, while refreshing my memory on the overall story and filling in the blanks from where I left off at places.

That is great to hear! I need to do the same with this show one day

• Like 1

I accidentally clicked on an anime while scrolling CrunchyRoll called "The Daily LIfe of the Immortal King" so now I'm watching that lol It's not bad tbh so far but I'm only on ep 5.

I've now finished rewatching Hyouka. This is a really good series about Eru Chitandra, a girl with an insatiable curiosity and seemingly boundless energy and Houtarou Oreki, the guy she harasses to solve the mysteries for her who would rather live a quiet peaceful life. But once Eru utters the phrase "I'm Curious" no one is getting any peace until she has the answers!
The artwork and animation is excellent and the storyline is well paced with the various mysteries well constructed. The characters are also well developed and the interaction between them is very good and provides quite a bit of subtle humour.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:42 PM, Sakura said:

I accidentally clicked on an anime while scrolling CrunchyRoll called "The Daily LIfe of the Immortal King" so now I'm watching that lol It's not bad tbh so far but I'm only on ep 5.

ooooh!! i really liked it. I didn't watch all of it though. only season 1 i think

Now finished rewatching Golden Time which is a really good Slice of Life romance series, but with an interesting twist in that the main male character has amnesia as a result of an accident and doesn't remember anything of his life before he was 18. The story really has two focus points one being getting on with his new life and new friends the other being the problems he faces when it seems like his old life is coming back. One of the interesting questions the story asks is does memory equal identity.
Overall I enjoyed watching the series. It has good quality artwork and animation, an excellent cast of characters and an interesting storyline.

• Like 1

Thought I'd go for the next season of "The Faraway Paladin".  I've seen the first season but wanted to wait until the second ended before starting it & I'm just now getting to it.

Going off on a tangent re: translations..

Spoiler

I'd originally interpreted "最果てのパラディン" (or "saihate no..." in romaji) as "the last .." since it shares the "sai" kanji with things like "siago" (最後) or "saishu" (最終) both of which I'd previously learned as "last" when I was learning Japanese.  There's also stuff like "saikou" (最高) meaning "best", again using sai to kind of convey a sense taking things to an extreme.  "Saihate" is usually/often translated as "the end", but in the context of the title I figured "the last" worked better.  I'm curious if something like "distant" or "last" might be a closer translation to what the creators of the original Japanese title had in mind.  At any rate, "faraway" does sound a bit awkward as a translation to this native English speaker.  Any Japanese speakers in the audience know where "faraway" might have come from?

Edited by efaardvark