12 or 24 hour time?

Optic

Do you prefer 12 or 24 hour time?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer 12 or 24 hour time?

• 12 hour! Give me AM/PM!
    • 24 hour! Military time!

Discuss. ;)

I've grown to prefer 24 hour time over the years, plus it was a requirement for paperwork when I was doing volunteer work with the Ambulance service. It is also a little quicker to write. And I set it to 24 hour on my watch and phone.

How about you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hahahaha this topic made me laugh so much when I saw the title! This is because one of my best friends LOVES 24 hour time. He will say, "I will be at your place to pick you up at 1500." Hahahaha. It drives my boyfriend mad. He much prefers 12 hour time but no matter what we do we can't stop our friend from saying stuff in 24 hour time and this is fine because it makes him who he is... it would be weird if he didn't speak in 24 hour time.

The weird thing is that the Coles rosters also have 24 hour time on their rosters. if you are working until midnight... it doesn't say midnight or 12:00 (cause that may confuse it with 12:00pm) but instead will have 24:00. Even though my friend says that doesn't really exist haha.

So to answer the question I'm on the fence, I don't have a favourite I am fine with both.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Grew up in the US, so used to 12 hour time, even though in elementary school, they taught us military time.

Anyway, in Japan, I use both.

The only time I had used 24 hours times was back in the army, while I was serving conscription. It's kinda uncomfortable using it outside of the army, especially nowadays, long after my conscription.

I'm used to 12 hour but I know 24 hour time too. To be honest, I prefer 24 hour time because the AM/PM confusion is negated.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
military time

triggered tbh

The 24 hour clock is the only clock that can work for me, because my sleeping patterns are so obscure that sometimes I wake up at twilight hour, but I won't be sure if it's 6 in the morning or 6 at night. It's easier to tell during summer, but impossible during winter.

• 3 weeks later...

24 hour is better.

but I still use 12 hour on my computer though, but people here will be confused if you say somethings like "I will meet you by 19 tomorrow in the cafe." it doesnt really fit the language somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I use 12hr time. I'm not very bothered by 24hr time though, so I can use either. (As for analog vs digital? I got so used to digital, I have a really hard time reading analog clocks now)

• Like 1

I will always use 12hr time when possible/can be bothered to alter the clock, I just prefer it and it's what I use in conversation.

I would say "It's 2 o'clock!" EVERY TIME over "It's 14 hundred hours!" Idk it just sounds silly to me.

Analog over digital though, since only when I look at a clockface can I clearly see how long I have to do something. I use a physical clockface to plan my day, I'll follow the hour hand round as it helps me to visualise the actualy amount of time I have to limit to various things.

I can't seem to do that with a digital clock, it's just numbers to me :P

• Like 1

I kind of prefer 24 hour clocks, which I used extensively and exclusively while I was stuck working security as my first job - it was convenient, never having to worry about AM / PM nonsense, and was very easy to get used to. Once you get over the initial hurdle of getting used to it, I don't really see any reason that twelve hour clocks are all that superior.

• Like 1