Jump to content

Anime/Gaming Conventions


Recommended Posts

It's CON (convention) season! Which conventions do you all go to and how much do you guys typically spend on them? Do you all get a hotel room just for those con? I'm planning on going to Momocon that's located in Atlanta, Georgia. It's an all together convention which means its a gaming, comic, and of course an anime convention. I love going every year. I typically try to get a hotel that's connected to where the convention is held. If I don't, then I have to sit in Atlanta traffic, which can take up to an hour from where I live. In general, I'd rather not do that. So, if I do get a room, I usually spend about 2000 includes the room, food for the weekend, buying stuff from the dealers room, an uber and miscellaneous. If I don't get a room, I usually spend about 500ish. Maybe a bit less or more depending. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok...I remember my last trip to Atlanta to see the whale sharks at the aquarium but....I could do a weekend with hotel and food there for less. That is insane!  Shop around buddy.

 

I always get a hotel room around 20 minutes away from the con. I live too far from the one I go to commute and I like the place I stay at. I spend maybe 300-400 dollars on the hotel depending on my check in date (not bad for 4 days), probably between 300 and 800 dollars on anime. I go in with a budget and rarely break it. Food wise....probably 200 bucks for my husband and me. The anime budget is where I spend the most.

 

Are you staying at the Ritz?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Ok...I remember my last trip to Atlanta to see the whale sharks at the aquarium but....I could do a weekend with hotel and food there for less. That is insane!  Shop around buddy.

 

I always get a hotel room around 20 minutes away from the con. I live too far from the one I go to commute and I like the place I stay at. I spend maybe 300-400 dollars on the hotel depending on my check in date (not bad for 4 days), probably between 300 and 800 dollars on anime. I go in with a budget and rarely break it. Food wise....probably 200 bucks for my husband and me. The anime budget is where I spend the most.

 

Are you staying at the Ritz?

The 2000 is including my husband too lol. I forgot to add that. Plus we check in a day before and a day after so we don't feel rushed and we could enjoy ourselves on the last day. We treat this as a vacation since we don't do it much as is. And we're staying at the Omni. We're planning on staying up pretty late and we don't want to be caught in downtown ATL late at night or have to bother calling an uber. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @ShenmueOutLoudAgain, welcome to AF.

I personally am not a huge fan of anime conventions/fairs. A big reason for that is the quality of them here in Western Australia is not great and merchandise being sold is often more expensive than just importing it (i.e. buying it online).

I would probably attend more if I was closer to the US or in Japan (*cough* Comiket and Wonder Festival in Japan - newest releases of merchandise are showcased there)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Optic said:

Hi @ShenmueOutLoudAgain, welcome to AF.

I personally am not a huge fan of anime conventions/fairs. A big reason for that is the quality of them here in Western Australia is not great and merchandise being sold is often more expensive than just importing it (i.e. buying it online).

I would probably attend more if I was closer to the US or in Japan (*cough* Comiket and Wonder Festival in Japan - newest releases of merchandise are showcased there)

maybe one year we could do one as a forum group to a Japanese convention maybe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, con season is in full swing up here in Jersey, where spring feels like there's a con big or small every weekend.

My team at Lost Silver Productions has already little cons NJIT MiniCon, KindaCon and Kogaracon over the last month. We have our biggest spring event, Castle Point Anime Convention, coming up on May 19-20, and then a month after we'll be in Brooklyn for BoroughCon. So five cons full of game show action that we bring to the anime fans. And there's a chance for us that at Castle Point, we could have one of our biggest winners ever. I'm getting very excited and scared for that possibility.

SPEAKING OF... I have a request for one of those games, if everyone can help me. See Creative Corner or PM me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

My biggest ones I always try(keyword: try) to attend are Anime Weekend Atlanta around Sept/Oct. and Metrocon In Tampa during the early summer(May/June/July). Anime Festival Orlando, Ancient City Con, Wasabicon, and a few smaller ones close to me in Jax, FL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone planning on going to a con in 2022? I'm trying to set up a triumphant return to Anime Weekend Atlanta(AWA). Its been awhile since I graced it's doors and now I've gotten a few friends here in Jax, FL interested in going as well. Where might you be going?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I liked it. Would have loved to stay longer each of the days but my sister wasnt able to stand for that long most the time so that was why. Otherwise it a good time. They were much better than the previous year, and the events were much more entertaining and wanting to go to. We even had a few VA's from Borderlands who came in and did a panel and talked about that and the upcoming (at the time) Tiny Tina Wonderlands. The one who voiced Maya (Martha Harms), Eista (Adam Croasdell), and Lorelei (Ciarán Strange) from BL3 were in that panel.

Also found out at the time Ciarán Strange was voicing someone also in Tiny Tina Wonderlands and that turned out to be

Spoiler

Paladin Mike

 

Here's the list of all the voice actors that have been there the past year and years before.

https://fancons.com/events/info/17320/anime-milwaukee-2022

ALSO. Back in 2013... Nobou Uematsu made an appearance at AMKE.

560350_4821248523784_79409004_n.jpg

Edited by Ayatai
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kit said:

I've never been how is it meeting voice actors?

That is great, especially if you admire a particular VA and get to meet them. However, meeting VAs is just part of the fun at Cons...there is so much more stuff to do...and buy!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

That is great, especially if you admire a particular VA and get to meet them. However, meeting VAs is just part of the fun at Cons...there is so much more stuff to do...and buy!!!

How do you stop yourself from getting nervous or come up with questions when you meet an actor? 

I'd like to try cosplay too but I don't know. XD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first time is super difficult, but they want you to relax around them. Just think what have you always wanted to know? Chances are, they've been asked that question many, many times. As far as cosplay, my advice is to pick a character with a simple outfit to start. Go from there. Plenty of tutorials for cosplay on Youtube.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always wanted to go to a convention but there isn't that many big ones around Ireland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Kinda hoping I can make it to GalaxyCon Raleigh this year. Got to meet Steve Blum briefly back in 2019, but sadly he had begun closing down his stall by the time I got to the convention center. Quite the experience to shake hands with the one and only Spike Spiegel! This time I'll have to try to make arrangements at work so I can actually go for more than an afternoon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...