What anime are you watching now?

Optic

4 hours ago, Kleiner said:

Watched the first episode of "Insomniacs after school". Pretty good start for an adaptation of a great romance manga.

That's good to know. I'm going to start watching that, once I finished Little Busters and taken out a Hidive sub.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I started watching My Happy Marriage recently! I know it's sounds like a name for one of those bad mobile games, but so far it's really sweet and I adore the artstyle. It nearly had me crying before I'd even gotten halfway through episode one!

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

8 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

I started watching My Happy Marriage recently! I know it's sounds like a name for one of those bad mobile games, but so far it's really sweet and I adore the artstyle. It nearly had me crying before I'd even gotten halfway through episode one!

I’ve heard some good things about it but thinking I ‘ll wait for it to finish it & binge it instead of trying to follow it weekly.

I needed a supernatural themed anime I could finish over the next week as part of a viewing challenge. Started Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, but didn’t really like it. So switched to Another & enjoying it more.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Agree 1

On 7/25/2023 at 2:14 AM, Bulleje76 said:

Started watching Tokyo Ravens today. Hope it is any good

well that was not a success. not my cup of tea.

Let me get back to @Ohayotaku animelist to see what to watch tonight. Still on holiday ,..yeahhhhhhh :D

I've now finished rewatching Little Busters and Little Busters Refrain. When I first watched this series I wasn't all that impressed with it, but I didn't totally dislike it so I gave it a second chance and now I quite like it and enjoy watching it.
But, and it's a big but, my initial problem with the series remains. From the time Rin receives the first note telling her that there is a "secret to this world" we are aware that all is not what it seems and there is something "off" about the events in the story. However, even though I know what the "secret of this world" is I'm always left with the feeling that what is "off" is not the storyline but the pacing and directing of the series which somehow just seems to miss the mark. Little Busters Refrain is, in my view, much better in this respect and if the whole series had been directed in the same way it would have been much better overall.

I believe that if Kyoto Animation had made the series it would have been a VN adaption to stand along side Kanon and Clannad/Clannad After Story, not that I'm saying that JC Staff made a bad job of it, but I think they just missed the mark.

Was a bit disappointed in Another’s ending as things  really went of the rails in the last couple episodes. The biggest criticism though is it didn’t develop the characters enough to have the emotional impact that was needed.

The next requirement for the viewing challenge I’m participating in is for an anime series/movie from before 2013. I’ve opted to go with Steamboy (the full length subtitled version). https://myanimelist.net/anime/565/Steamboy

Edited by Ohayotaku

Finished Steamboy & have mixed reactions to it. Visually & animation wise it’s a masterpiece. Really amazing that the movie is almost 20 years old, but also really sad that so much of the CGI in anime today is still awful.

The writing & characterizations however are largely a mess. It’s clearly a tribute to the steampunk genre. Likewise it wants to give a positive view of the potential & sense of wonder of scientific advancement while also being critical & satirical about society’s weaponization & commercialization of technology. Unfortunately it felt incoherent far too often. And while the ending montage clearly was supposed to offer a glimpse of the characters’ futures, I honestly didn’t understand most of it.

Edited by Ohayotaku

Rewatched Jujutsu Kaisen 0 . Having just finished Satoru & Suguru’s backstory in season 2 really made it more impactfulI. I still prefer Yuuji over Yuuta as a protag though.

Niehime to Kemono no Ou

Beauty and the Beast comparisons are a little off but definitely in that direction.  Might even be better than that tale.  I'll see.  Too early to tell for sure; I just started but I've made it to ep 3 and plan to keep going.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Niehime to Kemono no Ou

Beauty and the Beast comparisons are a little off but definitely in that direction.  Might even be better than that tale.  I'll see.  Too early to tell for sure; I just started but I've made it to ep 3 and plan to keep going.

One of the better new shows this year IMO, though I currently have it on hold after the 1st cour while I check out some other things.

Honestly thinking of setting Helck aside unless the next ep changes my mind. It’s sense of humor isn’t working for me most of the time (kinda like Mashle from last season). And even though a more serious side of things is implied, I’m starting to lose patience. Likewise, not sure if I’ll stick with Dark Gathering. Of the new series this season Zom 100, Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero & Undead Murder Farce are probably the ones I enjoying most, though there are several others I haven’t sampled yet (taking things a bit slower on seasonals than I had recently)

I've now finished rewatching Charlotte I really enjoyed watching this series. It's got a good cast of characters, some good music, a good mix of comedy and serious action and an interesting story. When I watched it the first time I thought that having one character do all that stuff and the end was a bit unrealistic, and I still think this, but I'll accept it because overall the series was so good.

I've just finished rewatching Fuuka. A enjoyable little SoL series about a group of high school students who get together and form a band. So how many series with that theme are there??  This one rings enough changes to the formula to make it different and interesting. It's got some good art work and animation, an interesting storyline, a good cast of characters and a good soundtrack.

I took out a sub to Hidive today and started watching Insomniacs After School. So far I'm up to episode 4 and enjoying every minute of it. Excellent artwork and animation, there's also a subtle humour in the dialogue and expressions of the characters.

Just finished JJK S2 Ep5, which means it is now on hiatus for almost a month. Was not aware of this & kind of a bummer. But also kinda makes sense since these 5 eps were a prequel to the movie (JJK 0), which was a prequel to season 1. So when the series resumes, we should finally catch up with Yuuji, Nobara & Megumi (was glad they at least made a brief cameo in the post credit scene this week).

Edited by Ohayotaku