y'all know any horror anime

mellonc0llie

Question

16 answers to this question

I second Betterman! What a good series, and I don’t even watch horror (anymore)

Monster. Possibly the best anime ever, so not underrated... but if you haven’t seen it, give it a try. 

Also, Elfin Lied, it’s older but I thought it was good.

The Promised Neverland? Not sure if that is technically horror. I certainly found some of it horrifying. Classified as dark fantasy series though. 

Let us know what you end up watching! 👍

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:01 AM, Ohiotaku said:

THIS RIGHT HERE IS AWESOME AS ALL HELL!!! I had made a post awhile ago about devil lady. Didn't know someone else was interested. Though devil lady doesn't feel like a horror to me. Meh. I digress. You've seen Higurashi right? When they cry? Of course you have what am i saying.

• Like 1

Higurashi is a good one. Two seasons, make sure to watch Higurashi... before Higurashi... Kai.
Shinsekai Yori is more of a thriller, but it has a dark atmosphere throughout, and some fantastic horror parts.
Corpse Party Tortured Souls is like a 'splatter horror', if you're into that.

• Like 1

Ghost Hound

Strange things are happening around the town of Suiten. The daughter of a priest begins to see strange visions, spirits have started to roam the mountains, and Tarou Komori is having unsettling dreams. Due to the trauma of being kidnapped 11 years ago, he has repressed most of the memories that could shed light on what really happened all those years ago. But they return in his sleep, combined with encounters beyond the realm of dreams.

In Shinreigari: Ghost Hound, the supernatural and psychological collide, as three children struggle to face their demons and repair the breach between the spiritual and corporeal worlds. - My Anime List

Ajin

Mysterious immortal humans known as "Ajin" first appeared 17 years ago in Africa. Upon their discovery, they were labeled as a threat to mankind, as they might use their powers for evil and were incapable of being destroyed. Since then, whenever an Ajin is found within society, they are to be arrested and taken into custody immediately.

Studying hard to become a doctor, Kei Nagai is a high schooler who knows very little about Ajin, only having seen them appear in the news every now and then. Students are taught that these creatures are not considered to be human, but Kei doesn't pay much attention in class. As a result, his perilously little grasp on this subject proves to be completely irrelevant when he survives an accident that was supposed to claim his life, signaling his rebirth as an Ajin and the start of his days of torment. However, as he finds himself alone on the run from the entire world, Kei soon realizes that more of his species may be a lot closer than he thinks. - My Anime List

Hell Girl

Have you heard of Hell Correspondence? Those with a powerful grudge may only access this mysterious website at midnight, allowing them to enter anyone's name and have that person be ferried straight to hell. Ai Enma, the Hell Girl, will not judge whether or not the chosen target deserves punishment; she will merely exact revenge on them for you. Not much is known about this young girl other than that she swiftly carries out her tasks with the help of three straw dolls. There is just one catch, however—as payment for carrying out such a request, the user must condemn themselves to an afterlife in hell. - My Anime List

Boogiepop Phantom

Five years ago, a string of grisly murders shook the city to its core and now the rumors have begun once more. Boogiepop... Everyone knows about Boogiepop: meet her one dark night and you are taken. People tell each other the stories and laugh: no one believes that she can possibly exist in this day and age. Still, strange things appear to be going on and the darkness is taking on many forms. Something is out there. Are you safe? - My Anime List

Devilman: Crybaby

Devils cannot take form without a living host. However, if the will of an individual is strong enough, they can overcome the demon and make its power their own, becoming a Devilman.

Weak and unassuming, Akira Fudou has always had a bleeding heart. So when his childhood friend Ryou Asuka asks for his help in uncovering devils, Akira accepts without hesitation. However, to Akira's surprise, the place they go to is Sabbath: an immoral party of debauchery and degeneracy. Amidst bloodshed and death, demons possess the partiers, turning their bodies into grotesque monsters, and begin wreaking havoc. In a reckless attempt to save his best friend, Akira unwittingly merges with the devil Amon and becomes a Devilman, gaining the power to defeat the remaining demons.

Though it grants him great power, this new partnership awakens an insatiable and primeval part of Akira. Having the body of a devil but the same crybaby heart, Akira works alongside Ryou, destroying those that harm humanity and his loved ones. - My Anime List

Ghost Hunt

While at school, Taniyama Mai and her friends like to exchange ghost stories. Apparently, there is an abandoned school building on their campus that is the center of many ghost stories. During the story, they are interrupted by a mysterious male figure. The person turns out to be Shibuya Kazuya, a 17-year-old who is president of the Shibuya Psychic Research Company. He was called by the principal to investigate the stories surrounding the abandoned school building.

The next day, on the way to school, Mai passes the school building in question. While examining a strange camera she spotted inside, she gets surprised by Kazuya's assistant. Unknowingly interfering with the investigation, Mai breaks the camera and Kazuya's assistant gets injured.

Kazuya forcefully hires Mai in order to pay for the camera and replace his injured assistant. From that point on, Mai begins to learn about the paranormal world and the profession of ghost hunting. - My Anime List

Aoi Bungaku Series

The series consists of adaptations of six modern classics of Japanese literature: Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human (Ningen Shikkaku) and Run, Melos! (Hashire, Melos!); Natsume Soseki's Kokoro; Ryunosuke Akutagawa's Hell Screen (Jigoku Hen) and The Spider's Thread (Kumo no Ito); and Ango Sakaguchi's In the Forest, Under Cherries in Full Bloom (Sakura no Mori no Mankai no Shita). - My Anime List

I'm not super experienced with horror, but Kings Game was very scary.  Think about an anime where you really love and want to see the characters develop their relationships, and then make then play SAW to save each other.

Kings Game, terrifying.  I wouldn't watch it if your under 21 though, it's pretty intense.

11 hours ago, Tv-Crimes said:

Agreed but Hellsing Ultimate.

Shiki is also really good.

I preferred the Hellsing TV show myself; a shame there were only 13. If they wanted to stop on an 'evil' number, I wish it had been 666 episodes instead.

I second everyone who's recommended Higurashi and Monster, they're absolutely fantastic.

If you're looking for a more gory horror, Hellsing Ultimate, Elfen Leid and Blood C are definitely worth your time.

I'd also recommend Happy Sugar Life. It's horror-adjacent, less scare more suspense, but incredibly dark. Might be worth a shout