I am new here but have a mega question. I am a huge lover of anime, but my friend group do not really watch it and whenever it has come up in conversation, it is normally as a joke. What i want to know, is do you openly let people know you love anime or do you hide it? I feel like i should just embrace it but wanted to get other opinions?

I don’t exactly hide it but if it doesn’t come up then I don’t go out of my way to turn the topic in that direction either.  Same with books, space, programming, computer hardware, games, etc.  

Besides which I’m not a big conversationalist in the first place.  If someone asks me directly about some topic that I’m interested in then they’d better be prepared for an earful, but otherwise my side of the conversation usually consists mostly of monosyllables.

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I don’t exactly hide it but if it doesn’t come up then I don’t go out of my way to turn the topic in that direction either.  Same with books, space, programming, computer hardware, games, etc.  

pretty much this. I do own some anime themed tees & hoodies that I’ll wear on weekends, but never to work (same goes with my Marvel/DC/Star Wars ones). In recent years I’ve gone to some anime movies in theater & tried to strike up a conversation with people there because it’s safe to assume they have some interest as well. Occasionally the same on the rare occasions I’m in the anime or manga section of an actual store.  But I’m not really someone who can comfortably walk into a Hot Topic given my age & appearance 😂 Things were a lot easier back in the 90s with Suncoast & the proliferation of comic shops.

Growing up my sister had some interest in some of the syndicated series (Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Voltron, the Macross arc of Robotech) but that was the extent of it & she primarily views it as a nostalgia thing now. She’s not keen on her boys getting into it & given some of the content nowadays & their ages can’t really blame her.

So I rely largely on forums to discuss anime ( too socially awkward to really feel comfortable on Discord or real time chat).

Edited by Ohayotaku

I just treat it like any other topic. If it comes up and I know anything about it, I'll chat. If it doesn't, or if it's on some anime I know nothing about, then I won't have anything to add. That all said I have a sense for people I think might like anime and which likely won't, and if it's relevant to the current topic I have been known to name drop an anime. It's a safe bet because if they aren't familiar they likely won't even know what type of media it is. I might talk about it without even divulging it is an anime at all. 😉

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

I hid it when I was younger because I got made fun of for it. Once I got into high school it didn't matter so much anymore. I don't hide it but I don't really bring it up either these days. Now that I'm an adult I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I wish I did. That is one of my reasons for being here as well.